Other spellings: Yuzhent, Yuzint, Juzint, Yusant, Uzent, Uzant, Uzint, Usant, Ugent
Movshe Yuzent, son of Yehuda Yuzent, was born ~1815 in Trashkun. The two known sons of Movshe Yuzent are:
I. Rachmiel Yuzent was born in 1832, possibly in Rogeve (Raguva). The identity of his first wife is unknown. His second wife was Chana Leah (born 1838 or 1840). In 1881 in Ponevezh (Panevėžys), he married his third wife Leah Kriger, daughter of Abel. Rachmiel died in 1903.
- The two known sons of Rachmiel and Chana Leah:
- Zussman Leybe Yuzent was born in Trashkun in 1868. He married Sheyna Shapiro, born in Trashkun in 1868, daughter of Berl. Zussman was known to be a bal-mishnayes (expert in the Mishnah).[NOTE]Reported by his great-grandson Selwyn Bolel. Both Zussman and Sheyna died in 1936.
PHOTO Zussman Yuzent
PHOTO Sheyna (Shapiro) Yuzent
VIDEO Memories of Zussman, Sheyna and their children, recorded by Selwyn Bolel (2017)
- The four children of Zussman and Sheyna (Shapiro) Yuzent:
PHOTO Moyshe, Chane-Golda, Riva Yuzent
- Moyshe (Morris) Yuzent was born in Trashkun in 1893. He didn't marry. He traded in tobacco, and when still a young man, he was robbed and murdered by bandits.
- Berl Nosn Yuzent was born in 1897 and died as a young child in 1899.
- Chane-Golda Yuzent was born in Trashkun in 1897. On 26 August 1919 in Ponevezh (Panevėžys) she married Dov Ber Itzikovich (born in Trashkun in 1889, son of Binyomin Itzikovich and Sheyna Rivka Skudovich). In 1925-1927 the family emigrated to Winburg, South Africa, where Dov Ber took the name Berel/Barnett Ichikovich. Chane-Golda died on 31 July 1974, and Dov Ber died on 30 September 1980, both in South Africa.
PHOTOS Chane-Golda Yuzent Ichikovich and her family
VIDEO Memories of Chane-Golda and her family, recorded by Selwyn Bolel (2017)
- The daughter of Chane-Golda and Dov Ber:
- Fanny (Feyga Masha Chaya) Itzikovich (later Ichikovich) was born in Ponevezh on 15 January 1922. She was five years old when her family emigrated to South Africa. In Johannesburg, she married Issy (Yisroel Eliyohu) Bolel (born in Rogeve in 1920). Issy died in 1990 and Fanny died in 1991, both in Johannesburg. PHOTO Fanny Ichikovich Bolel
- Riva (Rivl) Yuzent was born in Vishinte (Viešintos) in 1906. In Ponevezh on 22 August 1928 she married Mones Garberovich (later Morris Gerber), who was born in Ligmyan (Linkmenys) in 1906, son of Elye and Sima née Rufitz. Rivl and Mones emigrated to South Africa. Rivl developed diabetes and died fairly young. Her husband also died fairly young. They had three children, of whom the first was born in Lithuania:
- Eliash Garberovich, born in Ponevezh on 2 July 1929
- [name unknown]
- [name unknown]
- Movshe Berko Yuzent was born in Trashkun in 1871.
II. Itzik Yuzent was born in Trashkun in 1835 or 1836. He married Elka, and he died in 1902.
PHOTO Itzik, his wife Elka, and their daughter Rochele
PHOTO Gravestone of Itzik Yuzent
- The nine children of Itzik and Elka Yuzent:
- Zelman Yudl Yuzent was born in Trashkun in 1864. He married Tzipa Leah (born in Trashkun in 1860).
- The two known sons of Zelman Yudl and Tzipa Leah Yuzent:
- Hirshe Yankl Yuzent, born in Trashkun in 1879
- Movshe Bentzl Yuzent, born in Trashkun in 1880
- Reuven Yuzent was born in Trashkun in 1867 and performed military service 1887-1891. He married Tzivya (Celia) Kikhel, who was born in Trashkun in 1874, daughter of Chaim Boruch Kikhel and Dvera (Dora) née Boyer. In the 1910s Reuven's family, including his mother-in-law Dvera, immigrated to the U.S. and settled in Wisconsin and the Chicago area, using the surname Ugent. Tzivya (now Celia) died on 13 May 1940 in Chicago, Illinois. Reuven died on 16 February 1947 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
PHOTO Reuven's wife Tzivya (Celia), her mother, and four sons (~1905)
- The five children of Reuven and Tzivya (Celia):
Berel Movshe (Morris)
- Berel Movshe Yuzent (later Morris/Maurice Ugent) was born in Trashkun in 1893 or 1895. He married Glika Berman (1899-1980, born in Poland). Morris was a furrier. The five children of Morris and Glika Ugent:
- Abraham (Abe) Ugent was born in 1922. In World War II he fought in the Battle of the Bulge and aided newly liberated prisoners at the Buchenwald concentration camp. Abe became a furrier like his father, and was married to Carol Sametz. He died on 21 July 2007.
- Himan/Hyman Davey Ugent (later David H. Ugent) was born on 9 November 1923. He married Peggy Hoffer, and later married Guadalupe. He died on 7 October 1996.
- Shirley Ugent was born in 1929, married Harold Craig, and died in 2014.
- Aaron Ugent was born in 1930. In 1963 he married Beverly Sue Bard, and he died in 2000.
- Ruth Ugent (later Ruth Knight-Lippert) was born 8 March 1932. She married Yale Knight, and later married Harry Lippert. She died on 5 February 2014.
- Orel Yankel Yuzent (later Jacob Aaron [Jack] Ugent) was born in Trashkun in 1895. He married Rose Kardon (1920-1947), and later married Jennie Margolis Borkin (1898-1979). Jack Ugent died in 1970 in Miami, Florida. The three children of Jack Ugent and Rose Kardon:
- Bertha Ugent was born in 1922 in Chicago, Illinois. She married Sidney Bernfeld (1920-1950), and later married Robert Carl Heling (1920-1995).
- Irving Mendel Ugent was born in 1927 in Chicago, Illinois. His first wife was Pearl Goldstein, his second wife was Jean, and his third wife was Carol Idson (1937-2015). Irving died in 1980.
- Donald Ugent was born 20 December 1933 in Chicago, Illinois. On 15 July 1962 he married Vivian Balkansky, and he died on 2 September 2011 in Carbondale, Illinois.
- Yudel Meir Yuzent (later Julius M. Ugent) was born in 1897. He married Frieda (1903-1983). The three children of Julius and Frieda Ugent:
- Alvin R. Ugent, born in 1929
- Bernard Ugent was born in 1932 and died in 1947.
- Donald Franklin (Frank) Ugent, born in 1936
- Isidore (Izzy) Yuzent was born in 1900 and died in 1917.
- Etel (Ethel) Minnie Ugent was born in 1909. In 1930 she married Gustave Taussig (1908-1931), and they lived in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. After the early death of Gustave, Etel married Sam Mullen (born ~1911). Etel died in 1960. Etel and Sam Mullen had one daughter:
- Doris Mullen
- Moyshe Yuzent was born in 1869.
- Berl Yuzent was born in Trashkun in 1870. In 1881 he married Chaya Glezer (born in Trashkun in 1872, daughter of Hirshe Glezer). Berl and Chaya had at least six children, only two of whom survived the Holocaust. Berl and Chaya also were killed in the Holocaust, presumably at Pajuoste in 1941.
PHOTO Berl and Chaya Yuzent in Trashkun with their son Itzhak (1930)
PHOTO Berl and Chaya with four of their children and five grandchildren (1933)
PHOTO Berl and Chaya with their son Itzhak, his wife Chana, and their children
- The six known children of Berl Yuzent and Chaya Glezer:
- Nosn (Nissan) Yuzent was born in Trashkun in 1898. He married Dvora (Dvera) Glezer (born in Trashkun in 1897, daughter of Mortchel and Basha). Nosn was a builder. In 1915 (World War I) the family was evacuated to Penza, Russia, and returned to Trashkun after the war. In August 1941, Nosn and Dvora were killed in the Holocaust, along with five of their six children.
PHOTO Nosn and Dvora Yuzent with Nosn's parents and five of their children (1933)
- The six children of Nosn Yuzent and Dvora Glezer:
- Sarah (Sorele) Yuzent was born in Trashkun in 1919. She married Itzik Luria of Kovno (Kaunas). They were both killed in Kovno at the Ninth Fort in 1941.
- Shmerl (Shmerke, Shmariahu) Yuzent was born in Trashkun in 1921 or 1923. He was a yeshiva student when he was killed in the Holocaust in 1941.
PHOTO Shmerke with his uncle Berl Glezer
- Zelda (Zeldka, Hena/Chana) Yuzent was born in Trashkun on 20 December 1924. The only survivor of her immediate family, she escaped to the east at the beginning of World War II (read her account). During the war she was in Tashkent, Uzbekistan, and later in Yurga in Siberia. Zelda returned to Lithuania after the war and then traveled to Birobidzhan, where she married her first cousin Misha Kotkis, the oldest son of her father's sister Etel Yuzent. In 1995 Zelda and Misha Kotkis made Aliyah to Israel with their two sons, Boris and Viktor. Misha died in 2000, and Zelda died on 8 March 2016, both in Israel.
PHOTO Zelda Yuzent as a child with her family (1933)
PHOTO Zelda with husband Misha Kotkis and son Boris (~1950's)
PHOTO Zelda (Yuzent) Kotkis' family with the Glezer family (1958)
PHOTO Zelda with husband Misha Kotkis, his sister & her daughter
PHOTO Kotkis family in Birobidzhan (1975)
PHOTO Zelda with her husband and father-in-law
PHOTO Zelda with her uncle Avrom Yuzent in Israel (1996)
- Tzivya (Tzivele) Yuzent was born in Trashkun on 8 August 1928, and killed in the Holocaust in 1941.
- Noyma (Noymele, Ela Naomi) Yuzent was born in Trashkun on 15 October 1931, and was killed in 1941.
- Basya (Basele) Yuzent was born in Trashkun in 1939, and was killed in 1941.
- Moyshe Yuzent was born in Trashkun in 1902. He married Golda and they lived in Shadeve (Šeduva), where Moshe had a grocery store. Moyshe and Golda were killed in the Holocaust in August 1941, along with three of their four children.
PHOTO Moyshe Yuzent with his wife Golda and their children (1934-1939)
- The four children of Moyshe and Golda Yuzent:
- Miriam Yuzent, birth date unknown, killed in the Holocaust in August 1941.
- Meyer Yuzent (later Meyer Juzint) was born 15 June 1924 in Shadeve. A yeshiva student in Slabodka (now Vilijampolė), he was not in Shadeve when the rest of his family was killed. He survived Auschwitz and Bergen-Belsen, and later emigrated to the U.S., where he became an eminent Talmudic scholar, author and educator. He died in Chicago on 3 October 2001, and was buried in Israel.
- Efraim Yuzent, birth date unknown, killed in the Holocaust in August 1941.
- Sheyna Yuzent, birth date unknown, killed in the Holocaust in August 1941.
- Abram (Avrom) Yuzent was born in Trashkun in 1905. In 1934 he married Hadassah (Adasa) Kamber (born in Shadeve [Šeduva] in 1909, daughter of Bentzion and Musha Golda née Lazarov). Avrom and Hadassah emigrated to Palestine in 1934. Hadassah died on 29 November 1988, and Avrom died on 7 December 1997.
PHOTO Avrom with his family in Trashkun (in 1933 )
PHOTO Avrom Yuzent with Trashkuner friends (1933)
PHOTO Avrom with wife Hadassah and the Glezers in Israel
PHOTO Avrom Yuzent with niece Zelda Yuzent Kotkis in Israel (1996)
PHOTO Avron Yuzent at reunion of Trashkuners in Israel (1987)
- The two children of Avrom Yuzent and Hadassah Kamber:
- Benzion Usant, born in Palestine in 1935.
- Tzvi Usant, born in Palestine in 1938
- Musa (Musya) Yuzent was born in Trashkun in 1909 and became a dressmaker. On 15 February 1935 she married Moshe Milner (born in 1903 in Krinčinas, Biržai district). Musa and Moshe were killed in the Holocaust in 1941 in Birzh (Biržai).
PHOTO Gathering at Musya's and Moshe Milner's wedding in Trashkun (1935)
- Etel Yuzint was born in Trashkun ~1909. She married Leyzer Aron Kotkis. They survived the war by fleeing to the east, and they remained in Birobidzhan after the war. Etel died in 1967.
PHOTO Etel (Yuzent) Kotkis with husband Leyzer and son Misha
PHOTO Kotkis family in Birobidzhan (1975)
- The four children of Etel Yuzint and Leyzer Kotkis:
- Misha (Nochem Zus) Kotkis, birth date unknown. Misha married his first cousin Zelda Yuzent, daughter of Nosn Yuzent.
- Tamara Kotkis
- Tzilya Kotkis
- Viktor Kotkis
- Itzhak Yuzent was born in Trashkun in 1912. He married Chana. They were killed in the Holocaust in 1941.
PHOTO Itzhak with his parents in Trashkun (1930)
PHOTO Itzhak with others at his sister Musya's wedding in Trashkun (1935)
PHOTO Itzhak with his parents, wife Chana, and children
- The two known children of Itzhak and Chana:
- Sorka Yuzent was born in Trashkun, birth date unknown. She was killed in the Holocaust in 1941.
- Beyla Yuzent was born in Trashkun on 6 October 1938, and was killed in the Holocaust in 1941.
- Mendel Yuzent was born in Trashkun in 1871. He was conscripted in 1899.
- Rochla Yuzent was born in Trashkun in 1873.
PHOTO Rochla as a child with her parents
- Basha (Basya) Yuzent was born in Trashkun in 1869 or 1875. She married Boruch Gordon (born in Trashkun in 1873). The four known sons of Basha Yuzent and Boruch Gordon:
- Reuven Gordon, born in 1896
- Moyshe Gordon, born in 1903
- Rachmiel Gordon was born in 1905. He married Yudisa Klatchko (born in Trashkun ~1909, daughter of Eliash Klatchko and Gitel Shevtsovich). (See recollection of Yudisa and Rachmiel in Berl Glezer's memoir.)
- Mozel Gordon, born in 1909
- Gesel Yuzent was born in Trashkun in 1878. In Kovno (Kaunas) on 8 October 1904, he married Ester Yudelovich (born in Yoneve [Jonava] in 1880, daughter of Gedalia). The two known children of Gesel Yuzent and Ester Yudelovich:
- Nesa Yuzent, born in 1907 in Kovno
- Goge Yuzent, born in 1909 in Kovno
- Sheyna Yuzent, born in Trashkun in 1880.