Shepsel (Shepselevich) family
alternate spellings: Shepshel, Shepshelevich, Shepselevitz, Šepšelevič
☛ See also Memories of the Shepshelevich Family by Berl Glezer
The earliest known family member is Boruch Shepsel, who was born in Raguva sometime before 1793. His wife's name is unknown. The two known sons of Boruch Shepsel are:
I. Bentsel Shepsel was born in Raguva in 1811. He married Lifsa, who was also born in Raguva in 1811. Bentsel died sometime before 1869.
- The three known children of Bentsel and Lifsa Shepsel:
- Abraham Naftel Shepsel was born in Raguva in 1831. He married Chaia Beila, who was born in 1836. Abraham died in 1904. The six children of Abraham Naftel Shepsel and Chaya Beyla:
- 1. Leyb Elye Shepsel/Shepshelevich was born ~1867 in Troskunai. He married Chana Basya Glezer, who was born in Troskunai in 1865. Chana Basya died in Panevezys on 20 December 1924. Leyb was killed in the Holocaust in 1941 in Birzai. The eight children of Leyb Elye Shepsel and Chana Basya Glezer:
- a) Leyzer Shepselevich (later Abramovich) was born ~1886 in Troskunai. In 1905 he became a revolutionary, and under threat of arrest, he escaped to America using the surname Abramovich (based on the name of his grandfather Abraham). Leyzer married Keyla-Riva (later Clara).
PHOTO Leyzer with his wife Clara, daughter Madeleine, brother Hirshl, and other relatives
- The two children of Leyzer Abramovich and Clara:
- Madeleine Abramovich, married to Fred [Jorysz?]
- Ethel Abramovich
- b) Nechama (Necha) Shepselevich was born in 1888 in Troskunai. She married Hillel Vospe, who was born in 1880. The couple fled to Russia during World War II and lived in Crimea after the war. Necha died in Vilnius on 14 January 1967. (Necha's last years)
PHOTOS Necha Shepshelevich Vospe with her husband and children
- The three children of Necha Shepselevich and Hillel Vospe:
- Emma Vospe, born ~1921 in Crimea, killed during World War II.
- Lisa Vospe, born ~1923 in Crimea, killed during World War II.
- Izye Vospe, born ~1925 in Crimea, killed during World War II.
- c) Shimon (Shimel Pesach) Shepselevich was born in 1892 in Troskunai. He trained in Riga as a hatmaker, but was called to military service and was killed in Lithania during World War I.
- d) Hirshl Bentsel Shepselevich was born in 1895 in Troskunai. The family was evacuated during World War I.[NOTE]In 1915, during World War I, tens of thousands of Jews were forcibly expelled to the east by the Russian authorities. Many Trashkuners settled in Penza. Most returned to their homes after the war. In Penza, Russia, Hirshl married [unknown] Peysachovich. She died in a tragic accident there in 1918 (read more). After the war and after the family had returned to Troskunai, Hirshl married Luba Sherman. Hirshl and Luba emigrated to Brazil, where both spent the rest of their lives.
PHOTO Hirshl with his wife Luba, brother Leizer, and other relatives
- The three children of Hirshl Shepselevich and Luba Sherman:
- Fruma (Frumele) Shepselevich was born in Trashkun in 1921 and emigrated with her parents to Brazil, where she married and had two children. She died while still in her thirties.
- Eva (Chava, Chavele) Shepselevich was born in Troskunai in 1924 and emigrated with her parents to Brazil, where she married Maurio Prist and had two children.
- Chaim Sepselevitz was born in 1929 in Brazil, where he married Paulina and had two children.
- e) Moyshe-Itzik Shepselevich was born in 1895 in Troskunai. In Penza, Russia, during World War I,[NOTE]In 1915, during World War I, tens of thousands of Jews were forcibly expelled to the east by the Russian authorities. Many Trashkuners settled in Penza. Most returned to their homes after the war. he married Tsivya Pesya (Cila [Tsila], later Celia) Peysachovich, the younger sister of Hirshl Shepselevich's first wife. Cila was born in Raguva in 1898. Moyshe-Itzik and Cila moved to Panyvezys after the war, and around 1925 they emigrated to Brazil with their two oldest children. Celia died in Brazil in 1976. Moyshe-Itzik died in Israel in 1980.
PHOTOS Moyshe-Itzik and his wife Celia
DOCUMENT Travel documents of Moyshe-Itzik and his family for emigration to Brazil (~1925)
- The four children of Moyshe-Itzik Shepselevich and Cila Peysachovich:
- Simcha Shepselevich was born 6 February 1921 in Panevezys and emigrated to Brazil with his family as a child. He moved to Israel in 1952. His wife was Allegra (later divorced). Simcha died in Israel in 2012.
- Gita Shepselevitz was born 6 May 1923 in Panevezys. She emigrated with her family to Brazil, where she married Waldemar Zaclis (born in Brazil). Gita died in 2018.
- Riva Shepselevitz was born in São Paulo, Brazil on 18 June 1929. She married Chaim Bulka, and in 1948 they moved to Israel. They had a son and a daughter. Riva died in 2018.
- Hanna (Chana-Basya) Shepselevitz was born in São Paulo, Brazil on 18 June 1934. She married Leon Sonntag (born in Romania 1923). They moved to Israel in 1952 and had two children. Leon died in 2010.
- f) Sora (Sorele) Dvera Shepselevich was born in Troskunai, birth year unknown. She married Moyshe-Itzik (Meyshe-Itzik, Meyshitzik) Katz. They lived in Birzai, Lithuania, and had three daughters. One daughter went to Brazil. Sora, her husband, and the remaining daughters were killed in Birzai in the Holocaust, in the summer of 1941. The three children of Sora Shepselevich and Meyshitzik Katz:
- Mera Ziska Katz went to Brazil to join her two uncles. Her married name was Mintses. She died in Brazil.
- Rochla Leya Katz was born ~1926 and was killed in the Holocaust with her parents in 1941.
- Chana Basa Katz was born ~1928 and was killed in the Holocaust with her parents in 1941.
- g) Mordechai (Motl) Shepselevich was born in Troskunai in 1902. On 13 December 1927 in Birzai, he married Chana Kreytser, who was born ~1902 in Birzai. They emigrated to South Africa. Motl died in South Africa.
PHOTO Motl with friend Avrom Yuzent and Motl's cousins Berl and Elke Glezer (1933)
PHOTO Motl, his wife Chana, and his sister Mere-Yenta in South Africa
- The child of Motl Shepselevich and Chana Kreytser:
- Sora (Sorele) Shepselevich, married to Joe [surname unknown].
- h) Mere-Yenta Shepselevich was born in Troskunai in 1908. She traveled to Johannesburg, South Africa, to marry her friend Itzhak Katz, whose family had emigrated there not long before. Itzhak died in 1978, and Mere Yenta died in 1991, both presumably in South Africa.
PHOTO Mere-Yenta Shepshelevich and Itzik Katz
PHOTO Mere-Yentka with her brother Motl and his wife
- The two children of Mera-Yenta Shepselevich and Itzhak Katz:
- Haim Katz was born in South Africa. He moved to Israel in 1949 and married Dafna.
- Jane Katz was born in South Africa. She married Edgar (Eliahu), and they moved to Canada.
- 2. Tzvi (Hirsh) Bentzion Shepsel (later Benjamin Shapiro) was born ~1869 in Troskunai. Around 1894 he married Toyba Stera (Toba) Sharfanovich, who was born ~1871 in Panevezys. They emigrated to the United States. Toba died in Minnesota on 29 October 1949. Benjamin died in St. Louis County, Minnesota, on 26 August 1953. The nine children of Benjamin Shepsel and Toba Sharfanovich:
- a) Sora Riva Shepselevich was born in Troskunai in 1889. She died as a young child in Troskunai on 29 July 1900.
- b) Dina Shepselevich was born in Troskunai in 1895. She died as a young child in Troskunai on 22 August 1898.
- c) Itzyk Berel Shepselevich (later Isadore Burton Shapiro) was born in Panevezys on 13 May 1897. He married Sonia Kaplan, who was born in "Russia" on 15 July 1903. Sonia died on 25 August 1988, and Isadore died in Hennepin County, Minnesota, on 9 June 1989. The three children of Isadore Burton Shapiro and Sonia Kaplan:
- Harold Kaplan Shapiro was born 14 July 1926 in Duluth, Minnesota. He died on 10 September 1980 in Hennepin County, Minnesota.
- Marvin Herbert Shapiro was born 30 November 1929 in St. Louis County, Minnesota. He died on 6 September 1965.
- Leslie Stanley Shapiro was born 17 November 1935 in St. Louis County, Minnesota. He died on 2 October 2006 in Potomac, Maryland.
- d) Asna Shepselevich was born in Troskunai in 1901.
- e) Leyzer Shepselevich was born in Troskunai on 30 July 1902.
- f) Bernice Shapiro was born ~1904 in Duluth, Minnesota. She married William Scharff, who was born in New York on 10 July 1899. Bernice died in 1957 in Brooklyn, New York. William died in Far Rockaway, Queens, New York, in September 1986. The child of Bernice Shapiro and William Scharff:
- Helen L. Scharff, born 28 October 1932 in Brooklyn, New York.
- g) Abram Naftali (later Arthur Nathan) Shapiro was born 28 September 1906 in Duluth, Minnesota. He married Fanny (Feiga) Meltz, who was born 8 January 1906 in Anyksciai district, Ukmerge, Lithuania. Fanny died on 27 September 1989, and Arthur died on 24 September 1999, both in Duluth, Minnesota.
- h) Louis Shapiro was born ~September 1909 in Minnesota.
- i) Edward Shapiro was born ~1914 in Minnesota.
- 3. Basya Dina (later Bessie) Shepsel was born ~1878 in Troskunai. In 1902 in Troskunai, she married Yankel Aryeh Glezer (later Albert Glasser), who was born 15 September 1876 in Vabalninkas, Lithuania. After their first four children were born, the family emigrated to the United States. Albert died in Chicago, Illinois on 26 June 1950. Bessie died in Superior, Wisconsin, on 24 October 1964. The seven children of Bessie Shepsel and Albert Glasser:
- a) Abraham Nathan Glasser was born 28 February 1904 in Duluth, Minnesota. He married Estelle Mame Bergeron, who was born 18 January 1906, also in Duluth. Estelle died on 4 February 1982 in Chicago, Illinois. Abraham died on 31 January 1997 in Potsdam, New York. The two children of Abraham Nathan Glasser and Estelle Bergeron:
- Roslyn Glasser. She had two children with her first husband, Red Bank; she had four children with her second husband, Leonard Kryszewski.
- M. Lawrence Glasser, married to Judith Sensibar. They had four children.
- b) Rifka (later Eve) Glasser was born in Troskunai on 14 March 1907. On 23 April 1927 in Two Harbors, Minnesota, she married Abe Mattenson, who was born 28 January 1907. Eve died in Terre Haute, Indiana, on 27 July 1936. Abe died in Chicago, Illinois, on 2 September 1955. The child of Eve Glasser and Abe Mattenson:
- Merle Mattenson married Nissan Mesch and they had five children.
- c) Dvora (later Dorothy) Glasser was born in Troskunai on 30 April 1910. She married Milton Bernstein. Dorothy died in Chicago, Illinois, on 9 June 2000. The child of Dorothy Glasser and Milton Bernstein:
- Amy Bernstein, who had one child.
- d) Boruch (later Ben Louis) Glasser was born in Troskunai on 14 September 1911 He married Ann Smith. Ben died in Minneapolis, Minnesota, on 8 January 1997. The two children of Ben Glasser and Ann Smith:
- Eve Glasser married Norman Evidon and they had three children.
- David Glasser was born 15 March 1942 in Duluth, Minnesota. He died in Minneapolis, Minnesota, on 3 January 1991.
- e) Lillian Glasser was born 4 April 1914 in Duluth, Minnesota. She married Mike Rosen. Mike died in 1966 in Crookston, Minnesota. Lillian died in St. Louis County, Minnesota, on 14 November 2011. The three children of Lillian Glasser and Mike Rosen:
- Bob Rosen married Barbara Swaden and they had two children.
- John Rosen married Arienne Zemanski and they had three children.
- Mark Rosen married Marge Narcus.
- f) Hyman Glasser was born ~1917 in Minnesota. He married Bernice (Tootsie) Webber. Bernice died in 1967. Hyman's second wife was Miriam. The child of Hyman Glasser and Bernice Webber:
- Phyllis (Cookie) Glasser, married to Reese.
- g) Sylvia Glasser was born 22 October 1919 in Duluth, Minnesota. In 1943 she married Bernard B. Harrison, who was born 16 February 1917 in Chicago, Illinois. Bernard died on 24 February 1987 in Skokie, Illinois. Sylvia died in Illinois on 11 February 2013. The three children of Sylvia Glasser and Bernard Harrison:
- Michelle Harrison, who had one daughter.
- Lynn Harrison, who married Danny French.
- Howard Harrison, who married Lori Ferowich.
- 4. Leah Feyga Shepsel was born in Troskunai in 1879.
- 5. Chava Dina Shepsel was born in Troskunai in 1881.
- 6. Sora Lifsa Shepsel was born in Troskunai in 1886.
- Israel Abram Shepsel was born in Raguva in 1838. He married Mariam, who was born in Raguva in 1840.
- Boruch Leyb Shepsel was born in Raguva sometime before 1842. The name of his wife is unknown. The five children of Boruch Leyb Shepsel:
- 1. Basia Miriam (Bessie) Shepsel was born ~1860 in Rokiskis, Lithuania. She married Shimon Manke (Simon) Nasatir, who was born ~1856 in Rokiskis. Bessie died on 16 December 1930, and Simon died on 19 February 1948, both in Chicago, Illinois. The eight children of Bessie Shepsel and Simon Nasatir:
- a) Rachmiel (later Richard) Nasatir was born 3 July 1882, likely in Rokiskis. He died ~1952 in Chicago, Illinois.
- b) Sarah Nasatir was born ~1883 in "Russia." She died ~1969.
- c) Malka (later Molly) Nasatir was born ~1886 in Rokiskis. She married Frank Klotz.
- d) Moshe Yudel (later Morris) Nasatir was born ~1888, likely in Rokiskis or Pandelys. He married sometime before 1940. His first wife's name is unknown. On 9 July 1940 in Clinton, Iowa, he married his second wife, Elizabeth Warren, who was born ~1891 in "Russia."
- e) Gertrude Edith Nasatir was born ~1889 in "Russia." She died 20 October 1957 in Portland, Oregon.
- f) Bentsel (Ben) Nasatir was born in Rokiskis on 16 March 1892. In 1919 in Chicago, Illinois, he married Ruth Rabson, who was born in Chicago in 1901. The three children of Ben Nasatir and Ruth Rabson:
- Monda Nasatir, born ~1920 in Illinois. She had one daughter.
- Mort (Mordecai) Nasatir was born 23 January 1925. On 25 December 1953 he married Valerie Wormall. They had three children. Mort died on 15 July 2013.
- Shelley (Shepsel) H. Nasatir was born 22 June 1936 in Illinois. He married Maris Friedman, and they had three children. Shelley died on 9 December 2018 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- g) Harry (Aaron) Nasatir was born in Rokiskis on 14 April 1893. He married Elsie Markus. The two children of Harry Nasatir and Elsie Markus:
- Maimon Nasatir was born in 1929 and died in 2008.
- David Nasatir was born in 1934.
- h) Ruth Nasatir was born ~1901 in either Russia or Illinois.
- 2. Yosel Shepsel was born in 1864 in Rēzekne,[NOTE]Rēzekne, known as Rezhitsa during Russian rule; part of the Vitebsk Governorate, 1802-1917. Latvia. He died there as a young child on 29 November 1865.
- 3. Eliash (Eliokum) Shepsel was born sometime before 1870 in Rēzekne, Latvia. He married Rivka Dveira, who was born in Varakļāni,[NOTE]Varakļāni was in Rezhitsa district, Vitebsk Governorate, during Russian rule. Latvia. The three children of Eliash Shepsel and Rivka Dveira:
- a) Libka Shepsel was born 23 April 1888 in Varakļāni, Latvia.
- b) Avram Chaim Shepsel was born 4 November 1889 in Varakļāni, Latvia.
- c) Chaya Sora Shepsel was born 16 November 1891 in Varakļāni, Latvia.
- 4. Leyzer Ber Shepsel was born in Varakļāni, Latvia. He married Shora Feyga Rebe, who was born 7 January 1874 in Birzai, Lithuania. Shora Feyga died in Pandelys, Lithuania, on 12 July 1927. The child of Leyzer Ber Shepsel and Shora Feyga Rebe:
- Pere Reize Shepsel, born in Birzai, Lithuania, on 1 December 1899.
- 5. Bentzion Shepsel was born sometime before 1874 in Varakļāni, Latvia. He married Tzira Enta, also born before 1874. The two children of Bentzion Shepsel and Tzira Enta:
- a) Wulf Shepsel was born in Varakļāni, Latvia, in 1892. He died there on 14 January 1895 as a young child.
- b) Chaya Rachel Shepsel was born in Rēzekne, Latvia, on 15 March 1897.
II. Moshe Shepsel was born in Raguva in 1813. His wife was Hiena (Henia?), who was born in Raguva in 1823.
- The only known child of Moshe and Hiena Shepsel:
- Henoch Rubin Shepsel, born in Raguva in 1850.