KehilaLinks logo


38th IAJGS Conference on Jewish Genealogy August 5-10, 2018 Warsaw, Poland

Landsmanshaften in Paterson

Landsmanshaft organizations were formed in Paterson in the early 20th Century to serve as fraternal centers for immigrants from numerous East European communities. Their common purpose was to aided immigrants' transition from Europe to America by providing social structure and support to immigrants who arrived in the United States without the family networks and practical skills that had sustained them in Europe, to help people in their home towns in Europe, and to provide sick benefits and maintain cemeteries for their members. During a time when individual insurance was either too expensive or unavailable, these landsmanschaften purchased group cemetery plots and later contributed to national Jewish charities and to Israel. They raised funds by sponsoring social functions and journals.

Independent Lodzer Young Men's Society:

photo of Independent Lodzer Young Men
Arrangement Committee of the 10th Anniversary of the
Lodzer's Young Men's Benevolent Association (1918-1928)

(Photograph courtesy of The Jewish Historical Society of North Jersey)

This organization began as the Lodzer Benevolent Association, with its establishment in the early 1900s. In 1928, an arm of it broke away and became the Independent Lodzer Young Men's Society with a separate Ladies' Auxiliary, to foster the ideals of Judaism by lending assistance to the sick, the needy, and the bereaved. Its first home was the Zionist Building on 14th Avenue in Paterson. By 1950 the group had moved to the YM-YWHA on Ellison Street, and then to the Schneider Building. Starting in the 1950's its meetings were held at the Fair Lawn Jewish Center. A few years later it became the Independent Lodzer Young Men's and Women's Society of Paterson. Over the years the group actively supported local Jewish organizations: Barnert Hospital, Daughters of Miriam, Yavneh Academy, Frisch School, B'nai Brith Youth Fund, UJA, and the State of Israel with bonds and an ambulance.

ILYM 30th Anniversary Journal

30th Anniversary Journal of the
Independent Lodzer Young Men Society
(Held at the Fair Lawn Jewish Center, January 18, 1958)

Herb Gold scanned and provided this publication that contains names of officers, lists of other Lodz descendants, many from families that first settled in Paterson, NJ, several photographs, In Memoriam section, and  journal  ads, which often include businesses with addresses and names. Click here or on journal cover to scroll through the pages of this Journal.

Bialystoker Landsmanshaft:

Bialystocker Landsmanshaft banner

 

The Bialystoker Ladsmanshaft was formed in 1907 to assist members from the city of Bialystok, Poland. It functioned by providing group disability and health insurance for its members. It also was a social club that held dinners, dances, and picnics.

The Ozerkover Society:

 

The Pabianizer Society:

[To be completed at a later date.]

 

 


Last Updated: July 20, 2013