BOLLENDORF is a village located in the German Province of Rhineland-Pfalz, at the border with Luxemburg.
Its administrative district is Bitburg. It is also about 40 kms from the city of Trier. It sits on the banks
of the River Sauer, which makes up the border with Luxemburg. The bridge over the Sauer leads to the Luxemburg
part of Bollendorf.
Currently it has a population of about 1200. The center of the village has not changed much, but it has
expanded up the various surrounding hills. Tourists come to Bollendorf to walk along the river or hike in the deep forests.
The first Jews arrived in Bollendorf around 1843. The 1843 census indicates 6 Jews. In 1895 there
were 66 Jews. The majority were Levy's and probably came from Aach, a small town closer to Trier with a larger Jewish
community (57 Jews in 1808). The other names among Bollendorf Jews are Mayer, Joseph and Steinberger. At the beginning
of the war, there were 17 Jewish families. You can see where they lived on the map of Bollendorf on another part of
Many of the Jews were cattle or horse dealers. Later, some opened up other businesses: a bakery, a
small department store, a clothing store, a construction tiles business, a photographer, a cafe, a butcher.
A foundry was operating in the 1850's and it is believed that the need for logging and for wood to supply
the furnaces of the foundry and therefore the need for draft animals prompted the arrival of Jewish horse and