included in the Suchostaw Region Research Group (SRRG). Shtetlach were interwoven
together like a tapestry and the Jewish people of neighboring shtetlach linked
by marriages, trade and marketing. They shared schools, cemeteries, kosher
butchers, bakers and more. Smaller shtetlach registered their birth, marriages
and death in a nearby larger shtetl. One should research the neighboring area as
well as an individual shtetl. The SRRG web site has resources and information
that is relevant to many shtetlach. To search for family links and learn more
about neighboring shtetlach, please visit the Suchostaw Region Research Group (SRRG).
Variant shtetl names: Kapischnitz, Kopachintsy, Kopichintsy, Kopitshinets, Koptehintz, Koptchintz, Kopycznce, Koyczyńice
SRRG Coordinator: Susana Leistner Bloch
Administrative District: Husiatyn, or Kopyczyńce - depending on the time period
Kopyczyńce belonged to the Kopyczynce Administrative District (Powiat) only during the interwar years (1918 -1939)
Judicial / Tax District (Subdistrict): Kopyczyńce
Jewish Population before the Holocaust: 2,471
- Latitude-Longitude: 49°06´ - 25°56´
- Altitude: 1082 feet
- 3.8 miles SE of Suchostaw
- 34.8 miles SSE of Tarnopol
- 13.0 miles W of Husiatyn
The People of Kopyczyńce:
|Famous Sons and Daughters: |
- Grand Rabbi Mordechai Faivush (1834-18940), father-in-law of Grand Rabbi Yitzchok Meir Heschel.
- Pinhas LAVON, submitted by Norman Greenfeld
- Rabbi Yitzchak Meir HESCHEL, submitted by Abraham J. Heschel
|After emigration: |
- Kopyczynce Landsmanshaftn (Including a list of burial society plots in the New York metropolitan area)
- Kopyczynce Society: The First Kopyczynzer Sick & Benevolent Society was founded in New York in 1895 by immigrants from Kopychintsy. The society was also known as Erste Kopyczyner Kranken Untershtitsung Verein. YIVO Record Group 970 contains cemetery records, correspondence and a Seal. The Society was dissolved in the 1970's.
|Links and Databases:
When searching the links below, please remember that many towns in
Ukraine have the same name. Make sure that the information you find refers
to the shtetl you are researching.
page is hosted at no cost to the public by JewishGen, Inc., a non-profit
corporation. If you feel there is a benefit to you in accessing this site,
your JewishGen-erosity is appreciated.
© Copyright 2017 Suchostaw Region Research Group. All rights
Compiled by Norman Greenfield, Susana Leistner Bloch.
Webmasters: Edward Rosenbaum and Binny Lewis.
Back to SRRG Home Page
| Jewish Gen Home Page
| KehilaLinks Directory
| Gesher Galicia
| JewishGen Online Worldwide Burial Registry (JOWBR)
| Jewish Records Indexing - Poland
Last updated 09/10/2017 by ELR
Copyright © 2017 SRRG