Dzyatlava, Dyatlovo, Dyatel, Zhetel, Zhetel,
and the dependent villages of Bogudzieki,
Chrobotki, Dubrowa, Dwor Wesoly, Dwor Zielony, Gnoinskie, Holowie,
Kobylczyce, Lady, Murowanka, Makryszki, Pacowszczyzna, Piecinki,
Porzecze, Prosza, Romanowicze, Rzepiszcze, Strzala, Wszowice,
Dyatlavo was in Slonim Uezd in 1887
Dzyatlava (Belorussian spelling),
Dvarets (Russian spelling), Dyatel, Zhet(e)l and Dvoretz (Yiddish
spelling), Zdzieciol and Dworzec (Polish spelling), Dvorjets (Ukrainian
Today, Dziatlava is a town in Dziatlava district, Hrodna [Grodno]
region, located about 165 kilometers, or 99 miles, south-east of
Hrodna, thirteen kilometers s/eight miles from Navajel'nia, a station
on the Baranavicy-Lida railway line. Population: 8,900 (1995). This
center of Dyatlovo district, situated on the river Dyatlovka, is 165
kilometers s from Grodno and eleven kilometers s from the railway
station at Novoeljnya (Navajel'nia), on the Baranavicy-Lida railway
line. 1995 population: 8,900. Roads to Lida, Novogrudok and
Slonim connect with it.
mentioned in the Chronicles in 1140-1150 as Dyatel [Russian meaning
woodpecker]. Before 1492, Grand Duke of Lithuania, Kazimir, founded the
Uspenski Catholic Church there. In 1498, Grand Duke Alexander presented
Dyatel volostj to the Lithuanian Duke Astorzhanski with the right to
call it mestechko (small town). At the end of fifteenth century and the
first half of the sixteenth century, Dyatlovo belonged to Troksk
voevodstvo. In 1566, it was a mestechko (small city) in Slonim povet.
In 1580, when Jews first settled, there were 118 houses, five streets,
and a market.
beginning of the seventeenth century, it belonged to Sapega.
1656, Duke Palubenski owned it. In 1624-1646, Sapega built the brick
Catholic church called "Uspeniya Bogoroditsa" where there had been a
hospital. After the marriage of Polubenski and Radzivil, this
mestechko belonged to Radzivil who,at the
seventeenth century, built a two-story palace that was destroyed during
the North War of 1700-1721. In 1699, there were more than one thousand
people living in Dyatlovo in twenty-six houses with one market.
the mestechko caught fire. In 1778, there were 168 houses. In
1784, there were five streets, three side streets, a market, 176
houses, three mills, a school, a hospital, and a steam bath. Beginning
the end of the eighteenth century, the mestechko belonged to Soltan.
Beginning in 1795, it belonged to Russian Empire as a mestechko in
Slonim povet. Then, beginning in 1791, it is in the Lithuanian
guberniya of Vilna. Beginning in 1801, it was in Grodno guberniya.
Dyatlovo became a state property in 1831.
Dyatlovo had a Catholic church, an Orthodox church, two synagogues, a
hospital, a secondary school, a pharmacy, two mills, two dye shops,
some small leather shops, a complex of shops, and a post office. Two
annual fairs, one on 23 April, took place. In 1897, there
3,155 people, 479 houses, an Orthodox church, a Catholic church, a
public professional college, a church school, four prayer houses, a
hospital, a post office, a shop, two factories, two honey factories,
and more than forty workshops. The 1897 population was 3,979 of which
75% (3,033) were Jewish. Jewish personalities associated with Dyatlovo:
Aryeh Leib ha-Levi Horowitz, Chaim Koen Rapoport, Jacob of Dubno (the
Dubner Maggid), and Israel Meir ha-Kohen (the Hafez Hayyim). Zalman
Sorotzkin was the community's rabbi from 1912 to 1929.
nineteenth and the
beginning of the twentieth century, Dyatlovo was a gmina center of
volostj in Slonim povet. In 1914, there was an absorbent cotton
factory, five honey-boiling factories, a wood cutting shop, and two
leather factories. Beginning in 1915, Germany occupied the town.
1919-1920, the Polish Army occupied it. Then called Zdzieciol, it was a
miasto powiat (county town) and gmina (town) in Lida powiat,
Nowogrodskie voevodstvo of Poland and seat of the local government. The
population was 308, located twelve kilometers. From Nowojelnia on the
Baranowicze-Lida railway line. The Justice of the Peace was in
Zdzieciol with the Justice Court in Nowogrodek. The post office,
telegraph, and telephone were in Zdzieciol as were one catholic church,
one orthodox church, four synagogues, a Young Girls' Prof. School, a
municipal hospital, an ambulance, an electric power station, a
slaughterhouse, and a veterinary clinic. The town had an Association of
Merchants, mills, distilleries and tanneries. Markets:
and Fridays. Until 1939, it belonged to Poland as a mestechko in
from the end of 1939, Dyatlovo belonged to the Belorussian Soviet
Socialist Republic. On January 15, 1940 it classified as a small town.
Until May 4, 1945, it is the center of Dyatlovo region. On June 30,
1941, it was occupied by the German fascists [Nazis] who killed 4,716
people in this region. The Jewish community was annihilated following
the August 6, 1942 occupation. In Dyatlovo and its region, there were
Communist and Komsomol organizations that published the
"Znamya Svobody" (A Banner of Freedom) during the war. July 9 1944, it
December 25, 1962 until January 6, 1965 it belonged to Slonim district.
After that, again it was a center of Dyatlovo district. There
were 4,500 people living. In 1977, 5300 people lived in
Beginning September 21, 1990 it was designated as an administrative
division of a town. There was a cheese factory, a combine of
complimentary industrial plants, a sanitary service, an agricultural
factory, a concrete plant, a gas factory, a furniture factory, four
secondary schools, an evening school, a youth center, a House of
Culture, a cinema, two museum buildings, and a hospital. The newspaper
"Peramoga" is published there. Two monuments for the war heroes exist.
Architectural monuments include the following: the Catholic Church
called "Uspenia Bogoroditza" dating back to the seventeenth century, a
chapel dating to the beginning of the nineteenth century, and the
palace that dates back to the eighteenth century.
Sachenka, B.I. [editor], Encyclopedia
of the History of Belarus. Minsk: 1993. Volume 3, pp. 256.
Ksiega Adresowa Handlowa,
Warszawa Bydgoszcz 1929.
Other possible research sources:
Yad Vashem: 6174, Yiddish, 1 Oct 1961, Meirowitz, Mordechai: "actions"
in ROZANKA; escape from the Ghetto to RORELICZE, looting by the local
population; abuse of Rav Israel VIERNICK and burning of Torah scrolls;
concentration of remnants of TURZEC, IWIENIEC, KORELICZE, HONODYSZCZE,
and ZDZIECIOL [Zhetel/Dyatlavo] in the Nowogrodek ghetto; slaughter and
"actions"; counting graves; work camp in place; stockpiling weapons and
digging tunnel; escape to partisans in Naliboki city; family camp under
the command of the brothers Bieski; sacrifices of the partisans and
only those that remained alive; revenge on the Belarussian murderers
Dyatlovo Cemetery: (formerly on Jewishgen cemetery pages, recovered from former URL via the Wayback Machine)
Located at 5328 2524, in Lida uezd, Vilna guberniya (Lithuania) then Grodno
guberniya, now Grodno Oblast. 93.5 miles WSW of Minsk. Alternate names: ZHETEL,
1997 visit: A family member received a letter,
which states the current condition of the one remaining Jewish cemetery in
Zhetel and solicits donations to raise $10,000 to build a fence around the
cemetery. The letter mentions that the first and oldest Jewish cemetery in
Zhetel has already been destroyed and a housing project built on its site. The
letter mentions Risha and Aaron Kovensky as the Zhetlers who recently visited
the remaining cemetery and reported on its condition at the annual Zhetlers' meeting
this year in Israel. Information supplied by Robinn Magidd.
page in the "Virtual Guide to Belarus" - once you're on the link,
scroll down to Hrodna (Grodno) in the left frame & look for
you have Lida uezd
materials to share, please considering donating it.
If you read Yiddish or Hebrew, please contact us.
held both in Grodno and Vilna archives.For Lida records translation,
your tax deductible contribution by credit card via the secure server
at either group or by mail will grow our knowledge. For a $100
donation, you receive all these records translated two years ahead of
their posting on JewishGen. Every penny collected is used for Lida uezd
projects only. Records include censuses; family lists; marriages,
births, death records; prenumeraten lists; and more. Please contact Judy Baston
with any questions.For current translations, please see the ALD:
All Lithuanian Database and Belarus