A Virtual Tour of Jewish Lodz

Helenowek Orphanage


The Helenowek Orphanage on ul. Krajowa 15, Lodz, Poland. Before W.W.II, its director was Chaim Rumkowski, who later became head of the Judenrat in the Lodz ghetto. In 1945, the building became a refuge for child survivors of the Holocaust. It was then taken over by the government and called the "House of the Child". In the mid-1970s, it was known as the "Government Girls' Youth Building". Presently, it is in a state of total disrepair with a lone occupant acting as caretaker.

 

Text and photos courtesy of Konrad Turowski

 Lodz, July 1999

[<< Previous] [Next >>]
[Back to A Virtual Tour of Jewish Lodz]

 

PLEASE REFER ALL INQUIRIES TO THE LODZ AREA RESEARCH GROUP MAILING LIST
WEBSITE PROBLEMS ONLY SHOULD BE REFERRED TO THE WEBMASTER.

Hosted by JewishGen, Inc.
Copyright 1999-2003 Shirley Rotbein Flaum, 2004-2015 Roni Seibel Liebowitz. All rights reserved.
Lodz ShtetLinks site founded by Shirley Rotbein Flaum (webmaster 1999-2004)