ger[man]. Nepolokoutz, rus[sian]. Nepolokiwci, ?, Kocman district, on the left bank of the
Prut. On the east it joins to the Zopen community, on the north-east, it meets Oszechlib and Iwankowiec, on the west, Oroszen.
On the south the
Prutcreates a three kilometre border with Berbestie community.
Railway station Lwow-Czerniowiec-Jaska.
Two tracks/roads cut across the village: one leading from Kocman to Berbestie and Waszkowiec, from North-East to South-west;
the other track from Sniatyn through Berhomet to Czerniawiec.
The elevation at the cutting point of the two tracks is 202m (above sea level).
In the village there are numerous ponds. The area is 1156 hectares, 75 acres, 96 square meters,
205 houses, 946 inhabitants, that is, 481 men and 465 women (in 1869).
In 1880 there were 1210 inhabitants. There is an orthodox church, Greek-Nieunicki, of timber, under the Patronage of Mary,
built in 1873-1874 with the efforts/endeavour of co-owners Jan, Michal and Wasyl Teutul and the community.
The commune has 202 families, in other words, 761 souls, that is, 383 men and 378 women.
There are 90 children required to attend school, that is, 43 boys and 47 girls. There are 50 in the local one-class school,
that is 30 boys and 20 girls (1885).
Regarding the other congregations, there is a Latin and a Greek-catholic one and they belong to Kocman.
There are 36 Roman-Catholic souls. Local Station, District Court and Taxation office are in Kocman.
Transport on the
Prut. Proprietors are Jan, Samuel, Michal and Wasyl Tautul, and also Olga Hermann
Copyright © בית לוחמי הגטאות
Ghetto Fighters House Archives
Mordechai Fuerman - Reshafi, an emissary from Palestine,
meeting with the steering committee of the pioneering training commune (kibbutz hachshara) in Nepolokovtsy (Nepolcauti).
In the photo: Reshafi is seated in the middle.
The hachshara members belonged to the Po'alei Zion movement. Photographed in 1934.
…..In the years 1933/1936 the Polish transit aliyah reached the number of 50,000 olim. Twice a month at that time special trains went from Warsaw via Sniatyn and Nepolkoutz to Constanza and for all these transports the Czernowitz Palestine office intervened at the customs stations, at luggage control and in document control…
…A considerable part of the Palestine emigration from Bukovina consisted of young Chalutzim, among whom there were many who came from middle class backgrounds and who were driven by idealism to do pioneer work in Eretz Israel. Several organizations were concerned with the nurturing of the Bukovina Chalutz movement: The Merkas Hechlutz, the Czernowitz Palestine office, the organization Jedidej Hechhaluz, the Bukovina Zionist State Committee, the Zionist Socialist Party Zaire Zion (Hitachduth), the Jewish Socialist Party Poale Zion and in later years also the other Zionist Parties. In the early years one was mainly concerned about providing work and room and board mostly in worker's kitchens as well as for travel papers which were only provided in part by the Joint. Later a Hachschara fund was established and a committee which consisted of representatives of the above named organizations was established to provide funds for the training and physical needs of the Chalutz youth. Work groups were formed to work on private estates in Bukovina in Negostina, Sadagura, Hermenhof and Nepolokoutz according to a report from April 1927. For about 8 to 9 months from April to October or November one worked in farming and in the winter some were occupied in wood cutting. The organizations responsible for Chalutz work in Bukovina were in contact with the All Romanian Chalutz and thus Bukovina youth worked on farms owned by the Chalutz movement in Romania - as for example in the above named report of April 1927 - in Biliceni and Iasi. In the All Romanian Board of Trustees conference for Chalutz work in Romania in February, 1928 Prof. Julian Silberbusch, Josef Wiznitzer, Dr. Max Diamant, Dr. Isidor Kottlar and Nathan Horowitz were delegated as agriculture experts by the Bukovina Jedidej Hechaluz and the Bukovina Zionist State Organization.2. In: History of Jews in Bukowina [Volume I, page 45]
In the villages, Jewish farmers gradually disappeared. They took up professions in the cities. In 1873, there was only one Jewish village, Terescheny, which was previously a Tartar colony, where there were 50 Jewish farm families.
In the region of Nepolokoutz there were many Jewish tenant farmers. Also scattered throughout Bukovina there were Jewish landowners who worked farms of 1 to 2 Acre.
Since 1848, the Jews left farming because they saw no possibilities of success in that endeavor because of the unfavorable rules for leasing and parceling out the land. They were lured to the cities where they thought it would be possible to find work3. In: History of Jews in Bukowina [Volume II, pages 167-178]
In Czernowitz, Betar published a weekly newspaper, “The Jewish World,” directed by Jakob Schieber and edited by H. Fekler. The Betarists [I've taken the liberty of coining this word to designate Betar members] were not afraid, in the interest of propaganda, to sell the paper in public places. The meeting of the state organization in 1931 was attended by representatives of most of the local organizations.
Almost every year, summer camps were held for the members, the
first one being held in 1928 in Wizenka. There as also in
Wiznitz, Lopuschna, Ribnia and other locations, summer meetings
were organized at which also non-Bukovina natives attended.
Among others, a camp was led by Eisik Remba (publisher of the
"Cheruth") in 1928 in his capacity as general secretary of the
main leadership (Schilton Betar). Arie Disenczik (Cheif editor
of "Maariv") was also a delegate of the Schilton. Many
went to Romania as teachers, among others Arie Ben Elieser (the
vice chairman of the Knesset). In Czernowitz a Hebrew seminar
was started where many members from Bessarabia, who otherwise
would have been caught up by the Communist stream received a
thorough Zionist education. All the instruction was intended to
prepare the participants for life in Eretz Israel. For that
reason, Hachscharoth (training
in agriculture) was created in Zastavna (leader of the farm was David
Schuster), Kuczurmik, Doroschoutz, moreover in Nepolokoutz, Luzan and in
Storozynetz on the estates of estate owners Ornstein and Baron
Flondor. When Jabotinsky stayed in Bukovina he visited several
Copyright © בית לוחמי הגטאות Ghetto Fighters House
* * *
Grigore Ghica Voda border crossing
stamp 20 Jul 1929 (Left, No 13733)
Name of Organization
| First Nepolokowitz Bukovina
("First Nepolokowitz Bukowina Support Association")