Extract from :- REPORT ON CURRENT ROAD SITUATION IN
CROSS BORDER AREA 2012
Ramygalos parish – territory: 249 km² population: 4127 River Upytė flowing through the parish
area (it is tributary of river Nevėžis).
76 villages are located in Ramygalos parish (lager of them are villages
Uliunai, Garuckai, Aukstadvaris, Daniunai).
There is the only bookstore in the area, a gymnasium, music school, two libraries, cultural
center, community center, post office, sports facility, supportive treatment and hospice, ambulance, medical
center, social service center, nursing home, two pharmacies, veterinary office. There are public service, sewing,
meat processing, metalworking, woodworking, car repair companies.
Places to visit: Ramygala St. John the Baptist Church (architect Karl Edward
Strandman), graves of Lithuanian partisans in Ramygala cemetery, grave of priest and writer J.
Balvočius-Gerutis in Uliunu cemetery, graves of poet J. Graiciunas and book smuggler A. Ladukas in Ramygala
cemetery, a monument for commemorating of the victims of Stalinism (sculptor K. Kisielis), V. Svirskis crucifix in
Pasiliai II village, memorial stone for the millionth hectare of drained soil in Pašiliai village, Barklainiai
stone, Ramygala School Museum, Bistrampolis Manor in Kuciai village, the old part of
Ramygala town - urban monument, cemetery of II World War soldiers in Ramygala.
Road 67 crosses Ramygala. It is a small town in Lithuania. It is located
some 24 km south from Panevezys on the banks of the Upytė River, a tributary to the Nevėzis River. According to
2005 estimate, it had just below 1,700 residents. The name "Ramygala" was first mentioned in the
13th century. In 1370 the place suffered from the Teutonic Knight attack. Sometime before 1500 the first church was
built and in 1503 the name "Ramygala" was used to refer to a town.
Since then Ramygala slowly grew. Few years later it had a manor, and at the
end of the 16th century it received a privilege to host fairs. Unlike many other towns in Lithuania,
Ramygala did not belong to a noble family but rather to Vilnius Cathedral and later to Vilnius
In 1781 the town established a parish school next to a new church after the old one was
destroyed by fire. The school grew and expanded significantly in the 20th century. It built two new school
buildings and a dorm. In 2005 it was named Ramygala Gymnasium. The school hosts a small museum
dedicated to the local history and traditions.
A new Neo Gothic church was built in 1897-1914. It has 3 aisles and 3 altars. It features
only one bell tower. The tower was damaged during the World War II, but was rebuilt in the 1950s.
Since the second half of the 18th century, Ramygala was administrative
center of a valscius. After the administrative reform by the Soviet authorities in 1950, the town became a capital
of a district (Lithuanian: rajonas). In 1957 it received city rights. In 1962 Ramygala lost the
status of the capital of a region. Now it is a center of an eldership, the smallest administrative division in
It has a small hospital and a library.
- population: 1700, territory: 130 km² Truskava parish is in the north of Kėdainiai district
municipality, 25 km from Kėdainiai, bordered with Panevezys district.
Truskava is a small town in the north east of Kėdainiai district
munnicipality, near the road E67. By the eighteenth century Truskava town was a center of the vicinity and belonged
to the landlords Truskauskai. For the first time in historical sources Truskava was mentioned in 1794. From
Truskauskas name the name of the town comes (from Truskauskas, Truskovskis).
Truskava was called village at first, and only from the nineteenth century it was called a
Rebellions in 1831 and 1863 touched Truskava as well. It is said that the Kazimieras
Truskauskas participated in the 1831 uprising and established weapons workshop. After Tsar's troops broke the
insurgents, he was arrested and later died in servitude. In 1903 town has 281 residents. During the years of press
prohibition in Truskava secret schools were started to create (official primary school was founded in 1918). In the
interwar period Truskava belonged to Ramygala parish. In 1923 town
there were more than 300 people, was a school, post office, pharmacy, craft workshop. During World War II Truskava
was significantly affected.
This is an extract from a 155 page document