Stary Ostropil , Ostropolya, Ostropolia, אסטראפאער (Yiddish), Старий Острополъ (Ukr), Старый Острополъ (Rus)
Pogroms and Holdcaust
The end of the Jewish Community of Ostropol
Ostropol is about 45 versts from the railroad station at roionnoe. Before the pogroms, the general population numbered 10,000, of whom 3,800 were Jews. The place had 390 Jewish houses and 90 Jewish shops. 40 percent of the Jewish population were handicraftsmen; then come small traders, and the minor part being merchants and individuals living on occasional earnings. Ostropol has four mills which are the source of income for the greater part of the population engaged in the corn and flour trade.
Holocaust in Ostropol July 1941 - March 1944... CLICK TO READ MORE
A German army field diary of the 57th infantry division shows them entering Ostropol on July 13, 1941. Within a few weeks the Jews of the town were rounded up and sent to the Ghetto in Starokonstantinov.
Stalin congratulated his troops - March 9, 1944... CLICK TO READ MORE
According to some reports many were shot just outside of town on the way. By the time Ostropol was liberated three and a half years later in fierce fighting on March 9, 1944 and Stalin congratulated his troops, there were no Jews left in Ostropol.
In August 1941 Gestapo SD field forces annihilated 800 civilians near the Novogorodskiy Forest
Gestapo reports of August 21, 1941... CLICK TO READ MORE
Others were killed at the site of a former Soviet Military Camp nearby. Gestapo reports of August 21, 1941 document some of the killing.
After the liberation Soviet reports gave a detailed description of the murder of the Jews of Ostropol and surronding area.
Commemoration to the Jewish Victims... CLICK TO READ MORE
After the war a Commemoration to the Jewish Victims was erected at the site of the mass graves.