mentioned in the year 1434, has historically been divided
between Stary (Old) Miadel and Nowy (New) Miadel. The spelling
and pronunciation of the name of these two towns has varied with
each the ruling nation.
Prior to the First Partition of Poland, all
documents were written in Polish (thus, Miadziol or Miadziel)
The Grand Duchy of Lithuania Records of 1784 were written in
Polish but records after that date were written in Russian (thus
in the Revision Lists of 1811 the spellings were Miadel and
Miadelai). In Yiddish one hears Mah-del. In the Myadel area many
languages formed the base of understanding: Lithuanian, Polish,
Hebrew, Yiddish, Belarusian and Russian. Although for residents
of Myadel, Belarusian is currently the native language, the
current, and only legal language, in Myadel is Russian.
Modern day Myadel is a sprawling urban
settlement whose population in 1989 was 6700 but today is closer
to 20,000. The two Myadels seem to rise together through the
trees and clouds. Soviet buildings and tall resident-owned
apartments have replaced the small, dark, Jewish houses and
brightly painted, peasant ones of the past. Fertile soil, trees
and lakes in the area provide the main industries (farming,
fisheries and sawn timber) past and present. Today, the accepted
proper spelling is Myadel.