names: Voranava and Воранава [Bel],
Voronovo and Вороново
[Rus], Woronów [Pol], Voronova and וואָראָנאָבע
Varanavas [Lith], Voranova, Voronov, Voronove, Werenów,
Woronowo, Woranawa, Bolotna, Werono. 54°09'
N, 25°20' E, 37 miles S of Vilnius (Vilna),
18 miles N of Lida. Jewish
population was 1,432 in 1897. 1993 town population: 6,800. This village
is one km from the railway station on the railway line: Lida-Vilnius,
on the road: Lida - Vilnius.
the dependent villages, hamlets, and estates of Soletchnik
(Great and Small)/ Turgel/Trokele/Trokiele
at 54°02' 25°25'; Meretz,
at 53°33' 245°1'?, Oran, and Rashin, Rudan Dekanat
WWI, Voranava was in Lida
uezd of Vilna guberniya of the Russian Empire. Between WWI and WII,
Woronów was in gmina of Lida povet, Novogrudok voevodstvo in
Poland. After WWII, Voronovo was part of the Soviet Union and in about
2000 was Voranava in Belarus.
found in the Chronicles of the sixteenth century as a part of Great
Lithuanian Principality, Voranava’s ancient name was Bolotna (Blotna), deriving from its
location on the river Balatnyanka, now a small stream. Polish sources
call it Werono. Russian sources
call it Voronov. On the map of T.
Makovski (1613), Voronovo is
(small town) belonging to Gashtold.
1690, Voranava had sixty-one houses, a Catholic Church, and a tavern.
At the beginning of the eighteenth century, A. Masevich owned Voranava.
In 1705, he began building the Catholic Church of St. Tadeush. Later,
the town belonged to Stipion and then to Zaretski. In 1735, Yakov
Stipion opened a secondary school. At this time, Voranava was the
center of starostat (district.) In 1795, Voronovo belonged to the
Russian Empire as a mestechko of Lida powet (district). In 1865, the
population was 468 people (18 Orthodox, 117 Catholics, and 333 Jews.)
Voronovo had forty-two houses, a Catholic church, a synagogue, a prayer
house, a water mill, twelve shops, a post office, a post station,
weekly fairs, and two leather factories. Close to Voronovo was an
estate (or a colony with the center called Rudan
Dekanat) with one hundred Catholics, eighteen Orthodox and
eight Jews. In this colony was a wine factory, the wooden church of St.
Zbivatselya. The 1897 population was 1574 people: 1,432 of them Jews.
1921, Voranava belonged to Poland as the center of gmina of Lida povet,
Novogrudok voevodstvo. In 1928, Voranava was designated as a miasteczko
(small town) (?in the gmina of Bieniakonie?), in the First Uchastok of
Lida powiat, Nowogrodskie voevodstvo of Poland. The Justice of the
Peace was in Eisiskes and the Justice Court in Wilno. The 1928
miasteczko population was 1,232. The railway station was a train stop
for limited transports in Woronow II on the Lida-Wilno line. The post
office and telephone were in Woronow and telegraph in Lida. Voranava
had one Catholic church, one synagogue, mills, and a Merchants
Association. Markets were on Tuesdays.
1939, Voranava belonged to Belorussian Soviet Socialist Republic. On
January 15, 1940, Voranava became the regional center. On June 23,1941,
the occupying Germans killed more than 2600 people from Voranava and
those who had been brought to Voranava from Vilna. Liberation from the
Germans by the Red Army was July 11, 1944.
AFTER 1939: Baranavichy
Oblast (Belarusian: Баранавіцкая вобласць, Russian:
Барановичская Область) was a territorial unit in the Belarusian Soviet
Socialist Republic created after the annexation of West Belarus into
the BSSR in November 1939. The administrative centre of the province
was the city of Baranavichy. The voblast was originally known as the Navahrudak
Voblast but it was soon renamed to Baranavichy Voblast. The
oblast was made up of 26 raions in 1944. These raions were
Byten, Gorodyshche, Ivyanets, Iwye, Yuratishki, Karelichy, Kletsk,
Kozlovshchina, Lyakhavichy, Lida, Lubcha, Mir, Masty, Navahrudak, Nova
Mysh, Nesvizh, Radun, Slonim, Stowbtsy, Shchuchyn, Vasilishki,
Valozhyn, Voranava, Dzyatlava, Zel’va and Zheludok.
In 1944, the oblast was diminished after transferring raions
of Lida, Radun, Schuchyn, Vasilishki, Voranava, Masty, Zel’va
and Zheludok to newly founded Hrodna Voblastones
of Iwye, Yuratishki and Valozhyn to Molodechno Voblast in
1944. Finally on January 8, 1954 the oblast was liquidated and the
raions were divided between the Brest (Raions of Gorodyshche,
Lyakhavichy and Novo Mysh), Grodno (Byten, Karelichi, Kozlovshchina,
Lubcha, Mir, Navahrudak and Slonim), Molodechno (liquidated in 1960)
(Raion of Ivyanets) and Minsk (Raions of Kletsk, Nesvizh and Stowbtsy)
Olbasts (Modern Brest Voblast, Hrodna Voblast and Minsk Voblast). Thus,
Baranavichy became part of Brest one as raion center after Nova Mysh
one's center was moved to Baranavichy in 1 May 1954 and renaming it as
Baranavichy one after 8 April 1957 (Founded
remaining parts of Belastok Region to Belarus in 1945) and .
Radun is in Voranava District, Hrodna Voblast, Belarus.
1970 population was 3,600 people. 1992: milk factory, bakery, and wine
factory. Civic facilities: professional training school, secondary
school, musical school, sports school, two kindergartens, school
student center, House of Culture, two libraries, hospital, cinema,
Monument to the Victims of Fascism (Nazis).
Wikipedia entry for Voronava
Eliach, There Once was a World,
(Little Brown, 1998) has a picture of cows coming home to the village
of “Warinova” on page 267. She also says that the
town soccer team called Vulcan had some of the better Eisiskes players.
On page 530 is a photo taken May 26, 1924and dedicated to the Eisiskes
player, Velvke Saltz.
In 1885 the following donated money for the
relief of fire victims in Grodno: Tomtov Divanitzki, Hillel Peisachov,
Michal Zilberman, Khanukh Zilberman.
Elijah b. Solomon Ẓebi Hirsch Deiches (1797-1881)
was rabbi in Voronovo and Eisiskes at one time. He was born and died in
Vilnius. See Jewish
Encyclopedia online under Deiches
Sorotzkin, also known as the Lutzker Rav
YIZKOR BOOK TRANSLATIONS:
OF RESIDENTS ABROAD
- Laura Levy
is looking for relatives of her Tzigelnitski /Cegelnicka /Sigel family
from Lida and Voronovo by way of Smorgon & Minsk.
Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902),
XIII, p. 955:
#1. has not even been saved on the WayBack machine. Good thing we also
- Barbara Proko's translation of the Slownik
Finder (1980), p. 116: "Voronova".
HaKehilot, Poland, Vol. 8 (2005), pp. 305-307:
of Jewish Life (2001),
p. 1466: "Woronowo".
Polish Business Directory: names reflect Polish spelling.
B. I [editor], Encyclopedia of the History of Belarus.
Volume 2, Minsk: 1994, p. 358.
Haprenumerantn 2649; 1885: Hamelitz lists donors to aid fire victims in
Grodno: Yomtov Divanitzki Lillel Peisachov Michal Zilberman and Chanokh
ENCY.: V: 789 [4 lines].
Sources on Jewish History in the Archives of the CIS and the Baltic
States: Preliminary List of collections, Compiled by Dmitri
A. Elyashevich, Acropolis, St. Petersburg: 1994, St. Peterburg Jewish
University, Diaspora Research Institute, Russian State University for
the Humanities, Historical Archival Institute, Center for Archival
research. Grodno (Belarus), Belorussian Historical Archive in Grodno
- Holocaust in Voronovo
on Yahad in Unum site.
- Yad Vashem sources:
TR.10-646 68650, German, 15 Dec 1966, written accusation against
Leopold Windich and Rudof Werner in the synagogue in Mainz; description
of pursuit of Jews in the LIDA area; establishment of ghettos in the
cities and expulsion of the Jews from the towns into the ghettos;
description of 3 ghettos in LIDA city and the projects in them in which
Jews worked; review of the Judenrat; forced labor; description of
"Actions" in SZCZUCZN, ZALUDOK, WASILISHKI at beginning of 1942; murder
of 300 Jews in VORONOVO in Nov 1941; description of murder of Jews in
the LIDA area in the fall of 1941 and winter of 1941-42; murder of 86
prisoners in LIDA city in the winter of 1942; "actions" in 1942 in the
LIDA region; in LIDA city August 1942; in ZALOUDEK 5 Jan 1942; in
WASILISZKI 10 May 1942; in WORONOW 19 May 1942; in IWJE 12 May 1942;
notes on the number of Jews that were murdered by him. The files also
accuse the occupied governments of LIDA city and their leaders Dienst,
Stellen of Himmler in the occupied eastern territories
- Yad Vashem: 7310,
Hebrew, 1 Mar 1973, KAPLAN, Yosef: Jews of Lida under Soviet rule;
members of the Judenrat (with names); German workers Werner, Windisch
an Hannweg; residents of the neighborhood, WASILISKI, IWJE, WORONOW in
the Lida ghetto; failed escapes; escape of the couple Kaplan and their
joining the Soviet partisan group Iskra; sabotage and battles
0.3-4010 12562, Russian, 30 Oct 1978, SINALEVITZ, Felix: Transfer of
WERENOW Jews to WASILISZKI; their stay in the ghetto; description of
the murder of Jews in the cemetery and their escape from that place of
murder, their conditions in the cities around Grodno and Bialystok;
their joining the partisans with the name NEVSKIJ and their joining the
partisans of the Red Army.
you have Lida uezd
materials to share, please considering donating it.
If you read Yiddish or Hebrew, please contact us.
held both in Grodno and Vilna archives.For Lida records translation,
your tax deductible contribution by credit card via the secure server
at either group or by mail will grow our knowledge. For a $100
donation, you receive all these records translated two years ahead of
their posting on JewishGen. Every penny collected is used for Lida uezd
projects only. Records include censuses; family lists; marriages,
births, death records; prenumeraten lists; and more. Please contact Judy Baston
with any questions.For current translations, please see the ALD:
All Lithuanian Database and Belarus