Home  

Historical Anecdotes:

Kamennyy Brod


M.BARANOVKA. NOVOGRADVOLYN COUNTY.
(KH. KARMAZIN, VOLYN NEWSPAPER NO. 140 DATED 12.08.1892, PAGE 3),
THE MATERIAL WAS PROVIDED BY V. VAKHOVSKY (NOVOGRAD-VOLYNSKY, UKRAINE)

... In the village of Kamenny Brod, 16 versts from our village, a fire broke out, emerging from a number of ordinary consequences. At 9 o'clock in the morning in the center of the village, consisting mainly of Jewish slums, a shed was lit up. The fire, with the help of a strong wind, swept the house behind the house with astonishing speed, and within one or two hours spread a menacing torrent of flame all over the center. All attempts to stop the merciless element were futile; The central part of the village and the surrounding streets turned into heaps of ash. The victim of the fire became all the property of the village, then the blood extracted. Totally burned 28 buildings, including One peasant house and porcelain factory of the hereditary citizen Zusman, consisting of 17 separate stone and wooden buildings and giving for a long time to the whole population of the village work and livelihood. Zusman suffered a loss of 500,000 rubles; The plant was insured for 125,000 rubles. A terrible picture of the devastation is the village, which de facto almost does not exist. Several dozen Jewish families, thus, remained homeless and foodless, and both the Christian population and the Jewish lost a piece of vital bread. An appalling picture of destruction, makes a terrific impression ...


FACTORY SCHOOL.
(VOLYN NEWSPAPER NO. 29, 2.06.1899, PAGE 2),
THE MATERIAL WAS PROVIDED BY V. VAKHOVSKY (NOVOGRAD-VOLYNSKY, UKRAINE)

... At the initiative of the factory inspection, with funds sympathetically related to the spiritual needs of his workers, an honorary citizen, Mr. Zusman, with the faience factory in the village of Kamenny Brod in Novogradvolynsky Uyezd, there is a two-year school where about 200 Jewish children are trained. Zusman's factory employs exclusively Jewish workers. The school was allowed last year and is open in the present. Teaching and the whole economic part on the recall of the inspection of public schools is in exemplary order ...


NEW SCHOOL.
(VOLYN NEWSPAPER NO. 29, 2.06.1899, PAGE 2),
THE MATERIAL WAS PROVIDED BY V. VAKHOVSKY (NOVOGRAD-VOLYNSKY, UKRAINE)

... In Rogachev, Novogradvolynsky uyezd, as well as in general in our seedy places, Jewish children were still limited to education received from ignorant Melamedov. This circumstance was noticed by the local doctor of the town of Torgovets, as well as by the inspector of public schools, who managed to influence the local Jewish community, and the latter expressed a readiness to open a Talmud Torah, with the obligation to assume all expenses for the maintenance of this school ...


KAMENNY BROD I
THE MATERIAL WAS COMPILED ON THE BASIS OF AN INTERVIEW WITH BUDNITSKIY SEMYON ON JUNE 27, 1994.
INTERVIEWED BY L. KOGAN (GERMANY)

Alternative name: Kamennyy Brod (German), Kameny Brod (Hungarian) and Kammeny Brod (Czech). Kamenniy Brod is located in the Zhytomyr region, 110-124 km. From Zhitomir, 23 km. From Baranovka, 28 km. From Novograd-Volynsky and 114 km. From Kiev. In the present, the local population is 1,000-5,000 people, less than 10 Jews.
City officials: Budnitsky Semyon (Kamenny Brod).
The earliest mention of the Jewish community dates back to 1897. The pogrom of the Jewish community was a shock to 1919. The Jewish cemetery was established in 1919 and the last known Hasidic funeral was in 1993.
Dovbysh (15 km from Stone ford) used for burial This is not the designated territory of the cemetery.
The isolated plot of land and the adjacent territory have no sign or any other mark. Having reached the adjoining sites, it is possible to obtain an open access for everyone to the cemetery. This place is surrounded by a fence with closed gates.
From 101 to 500 tombstones, all in an unchanged position with less than 25% of slabs dumped or broken. Dating from 1919.
The location of any displaced tombstones is unknown.
The cemetery has special sections for men and women. Some tombstones have portraits on stone, and / or metal fences around graves.
The cemetery contains marked mass graves. The territory is used only for Jewish burials. Neighboring areas are residential. The cemetery borders have been unchanged since 1939. Locals visit it rarely. The cemetery has not been destroyed in the last ten years. Local municipal authorities restored the destroyed stones, cleaned them, including weeds in the 1970s.
Now, sometimes, some people are cleaning the cemetery. There are no structures within the cemetery. An easy threat: uncontrolled access, natural erosion, pollution, weed growth, vandalism and suspected residential developments.


KAMENNY BROD II
THE MATERIAL WAS COMPILED ON THE BASIS OF AN INTERVIEW WITH ANATOLY STRYLCHUK (BARANOVKA) AND OLEKSYUK ON 12.07.1996.
INTERVIEWED BY L. KOGAN (GERMANY)

The mass grave is 1.5 km away. To the North-East from the Stone ford, in a pine forest.
City officials: Rural Executive Council, chairman - Esmont Vitaly. Telephone: (04144) 42526.
Regional: Branch of the Cultural Memorial Society - Borisyuk N.Ye. Regional Branch of the Cultural Memorial Society - Savchuk Vladimir Terentyevich.
Others: The editor-in-chief of the newspaper "The Word of Polissya" is Anatoly Pavlovich Strilchuk. Phone: (04144) 42376.
In 1926 the Jewish population was 1017 people. The unmarked, Jewish mass grave was made in 1941.
Jews from other cities or villages were not killed here. Isolated-planted forest on flat land has no sign or distinctive features.
You can reach through another adjacent pine forest, the access is open to everyone.
There is no wall, no fence, or a gate that would surround a mass grave. There are no visible tombstones or set stones.
Mass grave has no special sections, only contains unmarked mass graves. The municipality owns this land lot, which uses it for agriculture (harvesting or animal paddocking) in parts where mass graves are. Neighboring lands are agricultural for their intended purpose.
The main boundaries of mass graves are larger in size than they were in 1939. These graves were not destroyed. However, there is also no support for their content. The number of graves is not established and the graves are not structured.
A weed outgrowth is a seasonal problem, making access difficult.


KAMENNY BROD III
THE MATERIAL WAS COMPILED ON THE BASIS OF AN INTERVIEW WITH BARU RUKHLI NISELEVNA (KAMENNY BROD) 01.05.1996. INTERVIEWED BY L. KOGAN (GERMANY). WE ALSO USED THE MATRICES OF WEIZBLIT II'S BOOK. "THE MOVEMENT OF JEWS IN UKRAINE. PERIOD 1897-1926"

Mass grave is located to the north-east, 500 meters from the earthenware factory. The unmarked Jewish mass grave was made in 1941. Jews from other cities or villages were not killed here.
An isolated outskirts, partially washed away from water, has inscriptions or wall plates in the local language that mentions the Holocaust.
You can reach the cemetery, passing through the street Zovtnevuyu, access is open to all.
The territory is surrounded by a continuous fence without gates. From 1 to 20 tombstones, all in original position, there are no broken or fallen or displaced monuments, date from 1950. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces and / or metal fences around the graves.
The territory has marked mass graves.
The land is owned by the Municipality. Neighboring territories are a pond and a dump in a wasteland.
The main boundaries of mass graves are larger in size than they were in 1939.
Local residents rarely visit these graves. This common grave was not destroyed. The local municipal authorities made a re-straightening of the tombstones, cleared of weeds and fixed the fence in 1950. At present, the authorities sometimes clean up the territory. Mass burial is not organized. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion and vandalism. Easy threat: pollution, vegetation and presumptive buildings.


KAMENNY BROD, 1870-1890
HEADING: "THE HISTORY OF EUROPEAN ART. PORCELAIN"
THE SITE« STAROCIE.WAW.PL »

In 1870 in Kamennyy Brod in Volhynia F. Zussman opens a factory of table porcelain and faience. Manufacture made porcelain only until 1890 - then only faience, which was very popular and was in great demand.
Until now, only a few specimens of earthenware have survived.


Kamennyy Brod
THE GREAT JEWISH ENCYCLOPEDIA

The urban settlement (since 1938) in the Baranovskiy district of the Zhytomyr region. (Ukraine). In the 19 - beginning. 20 century. - a township of Novograd-Volynsky county of Volyn province.
In 1897, 1,147 Jews (65%) lived in Kamennyy Brod, in the year of 939 - 857 (37%), in 1999 - 16 Jews.
The main occupations of the Jewish population of Kamenny Brod in the 19 - beginning. 20 century. - handicrafts, handicrafts, small-scale trade. In 1914 the Jews of Kamenny Brod owned 22 shops (including 16 grocery stores, 3 iron-goods), a pharmacy, etc .; The owner of the faience factory was Zusman (founded in 1877); The only doctor in Stone Brod was a Jew.
In the late 20 century. In the Stone Brod the Bund branch functioned.
During the Civil War, the Jews of Kamenny Brod suffered from looting and pogroms. As a result of the pogrom, committed on July 10, 1919 parts of the Directory, nearly 250 Jews were killed. In July 1941, Kamennyy Brod was occupied by German troops. In the autumn of 1941 about 1 thousand Jews (including from neighboring villages) were shot in Kamenny Brod.
In 2003, Kamennyy Brod had a Jewish population.
In the Kamennyy rod family. Mina Smoler (1898 -?), An American writer, wrote in Yiddish, from 1912 - in the United States.


This link contains historical anecdotes relating to Kamennyy Brod. They consist of articles on a Russian language website - JewishPerson.org - that may be translated into English using the Google Translate feature.

www.jewishperson.org/kamennybrod/sokolovsky_kamennybrod/

 

JewishGen KehilaLinks Logo
Copyright © 2010 Allan B. Dolgow