and its Faience
The earliest known information on the Kamenny Brod Jewish community dates from 1850s. But actually, the Zusmans' faience factory operated here since 1862, and from this moment Kamenny Brod might be considered founded as a settlement.
Three synagogues operated here for decades (including one, at the factory's territory, which was closed, to be transferred to the local club, in 1928). Local Jews were adherents of the Chernobyl chassidim. A.-F. Zusman, the owner of the faience factory, also lived in Berdichev, not far from the Tsadik's residence.
In 1919, there was a horrible pogrom in Kamenny Brod, which took the lives of more than 200 Jewish men, including the local rabbi Shmuel Shvartzstein. The Jewish cemetery was founded here after the pogrom as the burial place for its victims. Later this cemetery was used as the burial place for the Jews from the neighboring village of Dovbysch. Up to nowadays, the majority of gravestones have been destroyed, and inscriptions have become unreadable. The cemetery has been divided into two parts: for males and for females. Until 1917, the local Bund's branch operated here. N. A. Kiselgof, the head of a small local hospital, was one of the outstanding personalities of this shtetl. He was the main organizer of the working-class movement in the Kamenny Brod. He was known in the workers' circle under a pseudonym “Naumov.”
To view the dedication of the Ukraine Memorial at Kamennyy, please click on the picture below: