Gargzdai (Gorzd), Lithuania
Bahnhofswirtschaft (mailed 1913)
Print at upper left of postcard:
"Greetings from the Russian Border
Rail Station Inn B. Schwellnuss"
Print in center:
Sonntag [Sunday], 6:30, 9th June 1913 in Gorshdy
Postmark showing Gorzhdy, Kovno province
For notes concerning the narrow gauge railroad (the train
shown in this picture), click here.
0294 Laugallen 1:25000 (1939) showing location of
Portion of Aerial
#158 (January 16, 1945, from www.wwii-photos-maps.com)
Note: June 9, 1913 in the modern (Gregorian) calendar was a
Monday. At this time Russia and a few other eastern European
countries were still on the Julian calendar. Russia did not adopt
the Gregorian calendar until 1918. The difference between the
calendars was 13 days.
The Russian date of June 9th, 1913 was Sunday, June 22nd in the
The photo of the building at top right was taken in 2008. At
that time no remnants of the train track could be located. For
current aerial photo on Wikimapia, click here.
For a view of an identical postcard without handwriting, click here.
For Lithuanian webpage showing current photos of locations along the
railway, click here.
There were at least two towns named Laugallen in East Prussia: one
(district) Memel (adjoining Gargzdai), and the other farther
to the south, which at various times (as district boundaries
changed) was in Kreis
Tilsit, Kreis Pogegen or Kreis Heydekrug. Both towns were next
to a border, and had a customs house ("Zollamt" or "Zollhaus"), as
shown on these maps of Laugallen,
district Memel and Laugallen,
Laugallen as shown on the following postcard is likely not the one
next to Gargzdai. The inn, and the guard's shelter at the
border, do not match the photos in the article about Laugallen
(Kr. Memel) at Wiki-de. The proprietor of the inn stated on
the postcard is not listed as among the inhabitants
of Laugallen (Kr. Memel).
"Gruss aus Laugallen (1908)
Copyright © 2005 - 2016 John