48° 03' / 28°14'
126 km NNW of Kishinev
NW of Odessa
located S of and close to Soroki
Population: 1, 198
From the Encyclopedia Judaica:
Early Communal History
Jewish agricultural colony in Bessarabia, founded in 1836 on approx. 3,217 acres of land bought by settlers from Podolia. It developed the most advanced level of farm economy in the Jewish colonies in the region. 371 families (1,874 persons) were living there in 1899. In 1930 there were in the colony 1,198 Jews (87.30f the total population).
The Holocaust Period
After occupation by the Soviet Army in June 1940, the rabbi and community leaders of Dombroveni were exiled to Siberia; Jewish property was confiscated in stages and all Zionist activity outlawed. In 1941, in the interval between the withdrawal of the Soviet forces and the entry of German-Romanian troops, Dombroveni was plundered by the inhabitants of the nearby villages, and the Jews fled to the outlying fields. When they were caught by the Rumanian troops they were all concentrated in the school courtyard, robbed of their money and jewelry, and ordered to leave the place. Those who turned west were murdered by the Germans they met en route; others turned east and reached the Dniester, where some succeeded in crossing the river with the help of the remaining Soviet authorities and took refuge in the Soviet Union. Still others were caught by Romanians and dispatched to Transnistria, where they were either killed or died of starvation and disease. The settlement itself was leased out and all the property seized and distributed among local peasants.
Surnames: Alphabetical list of surnames
appearing in the
Dombroven Partial Residents' List
A: Abramovitz Aharonovitz Akselrod
Sources: COH; EJ; GUM4; LDL; PHR1; PHR2; SF
Research Contact: Chaim