Karte des Deutschen Reiches (1921 - 1929)
Einheitsblatt Nr. 1
Memel - Heydekrug
This map series has symbols showing churches, synagogues,
and cemeteries, which are identified here by colored
For further information about the Synagogue, see Aerial Photo of Marketplace and Destroyed Synagogue and Note- Buildings of the Religious Community.
About seventy tombstones or fragments remain in the Jewish Cemetery. The map legend explains the symbol as Friedhof für Nichtchristen = cemetery for non-Christians.
The Evangelical Church burned down in the 1939 fire which destroyed much of Gargzdai, and was not rebuilt.
Rebuilding of the Catholic Church was completed in 1998.
Descriptive words and symbols on map:
Gut = estate
The new route from the town center to the bridge had been constructed in 1937. Both changes were shown in the Lithuanian Army Topopgraphic Map in 1938.