Prior to 1941 belonged to the Jewish Autonomous District Kalinindorf,
Lvovo was founded in 1841 on the right bank of the Dnepr by Jews from
the provinces of
At the beginning of the twentieth century the number of farms rose to
272 (in 1906). In agriculture were engaged then 176 families on an area of
2,760 desyatins, slightly less than half (2402 desyatin) of the area of land
which they received at the time of the establishment of the colony. The size of
the allotments per farm was not equal. So 175 farms had at their disposal about
10 desyatins, for 51 there were 25 desyatins and only 45 had larger allotments.
Amongst them were those who had more than 40 desyatins. Those with less land
made a living from hired work on the large farms. Others worked in industry and
trade, such as the production of butter, cheese, timber storage, a workshop for
blacksmithery and 8 shops. Also there was on the colony a medical attendant and
a pharmacy. In 1911 the planting of a vineyard was began by JCA and this
improved the income of tens of families. Until the end of the nineteenth century
a port was built on the
In 1869 a biannual government school was established in the Russian language. There were 107 students and two teachers. Ten years later there were only 76 students of 229 school age children on the colony. In 1880 another school was established with 90 students, but it was closed 15 years later. In 1907 124 students learned in the institution out of 230 school age children. During the second half of the nineteenth century officiated in Lvovo the Rabbis Menakhem Nakhum Sverdlov in the years 1845-1885, and after him in 1886 his son Eliyahu Yehudah. He was still rabbi in 1908. In 1912 there were 2 synagogues.
The Civil War caused a great deal of suffering to the inhabitants of the colony. As a result of the pogroms 65 orphans were left. In the winter of 1920/21 169 people died of starvation and Typhus. In 1922 were died of starvation about 200 jews. The number of inhabitants and farms decreased, but in the main the livestock was affected. The number of horses decreased from 670 to 100, the number of cows from 330 to 100, and in the colony remained 90 wagons out of a previous 334.
In the middle of the twenties was founded an agricultural cooperative with 566 members. Its purpose was to assist in the restoration of the farms. Likewise there was in the colony a cooperative organization of vintners and bee keepers. At the end of the twenties was established a Kolkhoz called Pobeda Ilicha, into which entered 160 farms (the majority). In 1930 was the regional tractor and the heavy farm equipment station was transferred to Lvovo and it served 18 kolkhozes in the region.
Several tens of families made a living from three flour mills, two
dairies, a factory producing bricks and from loading and unloading at the port
In the first half of the twenties Ozet and Joint opened a clinic and small hospital of 10 beds. From the health services benefited also villagers of the region. From february 1920 operated in Lvovo a Jewish village council.
During the twenties many young people left the place and went to the large cities for work and studies. So the population of Lvovo was decreased by one third. In 1931 about 71% of Lvovo jews were members of the Kolkhoz.
In the study year 1922/1923 a school with Yidish as teaching language was opened and 120 children learned in it with three teachers. In 1926 113 children learned there. Over a year the number of students increased to 149. During the first half of the thirties the school was enlarged and in 1941 studied in it 158 children with 9 teachers. During the twenties a school for uneducated adults operated. In 1926 the agricultural school from Kalinindorf was transferred to Lvovo. Assistance in setting it up in the early years was given by Agrojoint and Ozet. The institution had the use of several tens of desyatins, ten horses and agricultural equipment. In 1927 studied there about 70 students aged 16 to 21. In 1932/33 studied in the Agrotichnikum about 200 students, some of them not from Lvovo. In the same year graduated 80 agronoms. The institution had a dormitory and living there in 1939 were ten students. The school existed until June 1941. From 1923 there was there an orphanage with 39 children, of them 27 with no parents. This institution was manged by two teachers. During the second half of the thirties, many left the settlement and many houses stood empty. In 1927 the school was closed by authorities.
After the outbreak of war between the Soviet Union and
Research Contact: Chaim
This page maintained by Max Heffler
Updated Sunday March 27 2016. Copyright © 1999 [Jewish Agricultural Colonies of the Ukraine]. All rights reserved.