|also known as:|
Beregszász [Hun], Berehovo [CZ], Beregovo [Rus]
48°13' N / 22°39' E
|~ Introduction ~
|( Click the arrow in the buttons below for pronunciation. )
|~ Maps ~
|Zakarpats'ka oblast, Ukraine
Map: Copyright ©2010 by Marshall J. KATZ
|NOTE: Clicking a link will open a new page.
|~ History ~
|Berehove was mentioned for the first time as a royal town with the name of Lampertsas in a Latin text dated 1247. In 1284, it was mentioned as Beregsas, derived from the Slavonic words of berek-wood and sas-a German tribe. Later, Beregszász, as it was called, was in Hungary. Szász means Saxons.
|The territory of the town has been inhabited for ages. Legend is that Lampertháza (villa Lamperth), owned by Prince Lampert, the son of King Béla I, ruled the territory after the death of the king. The settlement was devastated in 1141 by the Cumanians and Petschenegs.
|In 1247, the new Saxonian settlers from the Rhine Lands gave it the name of Lampertszásza, a city and it became a Free Royal City in 1342.
|The town name of Beregszász was used first in 1504.
|On 17 June 1657, Beregszász was set on fire by the Polish and in 1686, it was destroyed by the Hapsburg Army.
|In 1768, a Jewish settlement was established and four Jewish families were recorded and by 1830, the Jewish population grew to 200.
|By 1877, the population of Beregszász was 6,929 made up of Hungarians, Rusyns, Germans and Jews which comprised Roman Catholic (1,516), Greek Catholic (824), Eastern Orthodox Catholic (7), Agnostic (25), Reformed (2,762) and Jewish (1,795 - 26% of the total).
|In 1910, Beregszász was a town and the capital of Bereg County. In 1910, the inhabitants numbered 12,933; 12,432 (96,1%) Hungarian, 221 (1,7%) Ruthenians, 140 (1,0%) German and 140 (1,0%) others by mother tongue. The religious distribution in 1910 was 4,344 (33,6%) Calvinist, 3,909 (30,2%) Jewish, 2,724 (21,1%) Roman Catholic and 1,956 (15,1%) other (most of whom were Greek Catholic).
|By 1921, the Jewish population grew to 4,592 and by 1941, the Jewish population was 5,865 (30% of a total 19,379 inhabitants).
|In addition to trade and crafts, Jews were represented in the professions (22 doctors, 17 lawyers) and they also owned two banks, 16 factories and three flour mills. A few dozen Jewish families worked on three Jewish farms.
|The Treaty of Trianon allocated it to Czechoslovakia (Sub-Carpathia) as Berehovo, but after the Decision of Vienna (1938), the city again became Beregszász, part of Hungary. A few dozen Jews emigrated to Palestine before Hungary annexed the city in fall 1938.
|After WWII, the Treaty of Paris (1947) allocated the city to the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic (1945-1991) as Beregovo, based on the Soviet-Czechoslovakian Agreement. Since 1991, it has been part of the Ukraine and known as Berehove.
|The city of Berehove is situated on the banks of the Verke, a small river connecting the river Borzhava with the Latorica river. The nearby mountains have its slopes planted with vineyards. The area is known for its old traditions cultivating grapes and wine production. Transcarpathian branded wines are normally bottled in the Beregovskaja wine factory. Berehove is also known for other industries such as furniture, instruments, sewing and other trades.
|Today, the city is the center of the Hungarian inhabitants in Transcarpathia (46% of a total 29,110 inhabitants - 1990 census) and they have proposed becoming a Hungarian Autonomous District (referendum 01.12.1991). The city has one Russian, two Ukrainian and three Hungarian high schools; one Ukrainian and one Hungarian grammar school; one professional and one medical school. There is a professional Hungarian national theater and an amateur folk theater.
|Of particular note, all of the clocks in Berehove are set to Hungarian time (1 hour behind the Ukraine) and Hungarian is the prevailing language. Also, Berehove is a border crossing point from the Ukraine to Hungary that is not as busy as the Chop (Csap) border crossing. You'll need to keep that in mind should you have the occasion to visit Berehove.
|Very few Jews live in Berehove today (2010).
|~ Hungarian Melody: "Beregszász" ~
Szöveg (Artist): Ottó SHÓBER
Zene (Music): Vlagyimir BALÁCZKY
|Click the black arrow below to listen to the song.
|This page is hosted at no cost to the public by JewishGen, Inc., a non-profit corporation. If you feel there is a benefit to you in accessing this site, your JewishGen-erosity is appreciated.
|Compiled and created by: Marshall J. KATZ, USA
with assistance from
Beregvideki Museum, Berehove
Book: Berehovo, Beregszáz, Zsidósága Képekben
M.Y. EHRENREICH, USA
Leo FEIGENBAUM, USA
hwd Media Share
Dov GUTTERMAN, Israel
Hungarian Banknote Catalogue
FOTW - Flags Of The World
Hungarian Bibliographical Lexicon
Nikoli KATZ, USA
Rabbi Joel MEISELS, USA
Memorial Museum of Hungarian Speaking Jewry, Israel
István MOLNÁR, Ukraine
National Library of Australia
Dima PILIPENKO, Ukraine
Mathew SHUGART, USA
David WEINSTOCK, USA
Yad Vashem Archives
Amos Israel ZEZMER, France
and the following
JewishGen members/descendants and contributors of Berehove Jewish families:
Iris (née GOLDBERG) BASS, USA
Tova BECK-FRIEDMAN, USA
Mary BLUMENSTEIN, Australia
Reuven (Ray) BOXMAN, Israel
Eva (née BRAUN) BERKOVITS, Israel
Sydelle (née WEISS) COHEN, USA
M.Y. EHRENREICH, USA
Gabor FARKAS, Switzerland
Michael and Linda FARKAS, Netherlands
David FRIEDMAN, USA
Bracha (née BECK) GHILAI, Israel
Stephen GOLD, USA
Dr. Tamás GOLDBERGER, Hungary
Erica GOLDENBERG, USA
Fred GROSS, USA
Hugo GUTMAN, USA
[The family of] Jehoshua HALEVY, Israel
Dr. Yehuda HEIMLICH, Israel
Daniel KATZ, USA
Nikoli KATZ, USA
Rudolf "Milu" KATZ, USA
Samuel (Sasha) KATZ, USA
Kati KISS, Israel
Jill KLEIN, USA
Michael J. KUBAT, USA
Dr. Bruce LEIMSIDOR, Italy
Yitzhak LIVNAT, Israel
Avrom Shaya MALIK, USA
Julian REINHEIMER, USA
Betty L. ROSEN, USA
Sandor SCHECHTER, USA
Roslyn SNOW, USA
Ari TESLER, Belgium
Joseph VAYS, USA
Tibor WEISS, USA
Updated: 28 November 2014
|Copyright ©2010 Marshall J. Katz All rights reserved.
|Visitors since: 28 August 2010|