More Records of Lechovicher Associations and Congregations in the US and Canada
This is a page in our Documents section. Click the button labeled "Documents" in the left-hand column to reach all of the other resources of the Document area.
For a Complete List of Lechovicher Emigrant Association Pages Go to: Records of Lyakhovichi Emigrant Groups. There is a full set of links for the most recent updates there.
In August 2008, a reader in France took the time to look over our photograph of the Lechovicher-Baranovicher Workman's Circle Group in NYC in 1923. He knew his grandfather was a member because he had his 1909 membership certificate! I thank Frank Proschan for contributing both the pictures so far included on this page for Branch 260 of the Workman's Circle and for sharing his information that helped us expand our common knowledge-base. We now know of the burials from Branch 260 and have a greater sense of the locality diversity of this organization from its earliest days. Click on the picture to go to a readable version.
Israel Proschansky's Membership 1909
The image is shared by the generosity of Emile Kutash and Frank Proschan. Thank-you!
Cemetery Documentation of Branch 260 Again, thanks to Emile Kutash and Frank Proschan.
Sullivan County NY Synagogue
where a group of Jewish farmers from Lyakhovichi area founded a synagogue in White Sulfur NY at the beginning of the 20th century. The building was offered for sale and relocation on Ebay in 2005
When built it was the "Stoliner Shul in Detroit",
the "Lechovicher Rebbe in America," Rabbi Pinchas Malowicki (son of Rebbe Noahke) frequently spoke here in the 1930s. Shuls carrying the title "Stoliner" were both landsmen synagogues for the area around Stolin in Belarus, and for those culturally tied to the Stoliner Hasidic communities. Rabbi Pinchas Malowicki, a native of Lyakhovichi and son-in-law of the Slonimer Rebbe appealed to both groups. Rabbi Morris Gitlin who while always an ardent Stoliner, had earned his living in Lyakhovichi as a bookbinder and printer, was rabbi here for a time. The official name of the synagogue was Bnai Aron Israel at 2567 Elmhurst and this picture was taken after it started a new life as a Baptist Church.
Congregation Shaarey Zedek of Windsor, Ontario, Canada
. In 1900, Isaac Lubetsky of the Lyakhovichi area was a farmer in the Belle River area of Ontario. (His sister was living in Lyakhovichi, married to one of the 23 children of Simeon Rabinowitz) - He was the leader of services in the little synagogue established by Jews from Grodno and Minsk gubernias. There were fifteen heads of family in the congregation in 1904 and several were Lechovichers. In 1904 the local newspaper referred to Lubetsky as the "Rabbi of High HolyDay Services", and we know that he also officiated at Purim in 1902 and 1903. In 1904, the congregation completed building a new cement block building on Brant Avenue and at the insistence of the then president Abraham Meretsky, imported a "real rabbi." He had received his ordination in Pinsk and led the Stoliner Jews in Lyakhovichi, he was the "quiet" bookbinder and printer of Lyakhovichi, Rabbi Morris Gitlin. In addition to being the rabbi for Windsor's Jews, he taught Hebrew school and served as a shochet (kosher slaughterer). His reputation for being a man of few words was legendary in Lyakhovichi and for this he is remembered in the memoirs of Avrom Lev elsewhere on our pages. By 1911 the congregation had grown to over three hundred congregants but disputes between factions were constant and Morris Gitlin who liked things much quieter, decided in 1912 to repair to Detroit, where he lived until his death in 1931. His connections in the town remained strong however, he and Meretsky had become mahatunim (in-laws to each other's children) and funerals and weddings brought Windsor and Detroit Jews together on numerous occasions.