A Virtual Tour of Jewish Lodz

The Single Surviving Synagogue of Lodz

 

The single surviving synagogue of Lodz is located at 28 ul. Revolucji 1905 (formerly ul. Poludniowa 28), in the second internal courtyard. The synagogue was probably designed by Gustaw Lande-Gutenteger and dates from between 1895 and 1900. Despite the Nazis' destruction of the larger synagogues in 1939, this smaller one probably survived because it was hidden in a corner of the ghetto and used as a storehouse for salt. The synagogue was damaged by fire in 1987 and rebuilt with financial assistance from the Ronald S. Lauder Foundation in 1989. In October of that year it was formally reopened for the Jewish community's use.


Lodz, Poland, 1998
Photo courtesy of Howard L. Rosen z"l

[<< Previous] [Next >>]
[Back to A Virtual Tour of Jewish Lodz]

 

PLEASE REFER ALL INQUIRIES TO THE LODZ AREA RESEARCH GROUP MAILING LIST
WEBSITE PROBLEMS ONLY SHOULD BE REFERRED TO THE WEBMASTER.

Hosted by JewishGen, Inc.
Copyright 1999-2003 Shirley Rotbein Flaum, 2004-2015 Roni Seibel Liebowitz. All rights reserved.
Lodz ShtetLinks site founded by Shirley Rotbein Flaum (webmaster 1999-2004)