In the vicinity of Ponevesch - called Slaviansk in the time of
the Czar. An old Jewish settlement of about 300 years. This can
be seen by the gravestones in the cemetery. Further evidence is
that of its first Rabbi.
Jews there involved themselves with business, stores and
handicrafts. In business, flax making took up the major portion.
In 1882, the flax industry fell into Christian hands and this
dealt a great blow to the local Jewish economy. In 1889, the
Polish Graf opened cooperative stores thus further weakening the
position of Jewish store owners.
Another blow to the Jewish economic status occurred in 1895
when two large fires struck within three weeks. Jewish emigration
grew and this time they emigrated to South Africa and not to
America as was the case in the 1880's.
The city was penniless. In 1898, the Kupishokers from South
Africa practically supported the free hospital, the credit union
and the religious school with its four teachers. They also
supported the celebration of Pesach with money and goods.
There was a house of worship for Mishnagdim, a brick house of
worship with a small annex for Sephardic Jews and another annex
for the Chassidim who were a large portion of the Jewish
population. Occasionally, there were quarrels between the
Chassidim and the Mishnagdim.
In 1886, Rabbi Abba Yakov founded a Yeshiva. The supervisor
was Reb Chaim Halpern. Landsleit from America helped with money,
i.e., V. Epstein, Gafanowitz.
Between 1834 and 1911, there were ninety subscribers from
Kupishok to the Rabbinical book. In a list of Jewish donors who
contributed to the hunger-stricken of Lithuania are the
collectors: Abraham-Zev Berkman, Itzhak Flensberg.
In 1847, 1,350 Jews lived here, in 1897 there were 2,661, in
1923 there were 1,444 (in the outskirts of the city, there were
27 Jews not included in the official statistics) and before the
destruction - about 1,200.
Before the creation of the Lovers of Zion, Kupishoker Jews
bought land in Israel. Among a group of Ponisveshers who bought
land near Jaffa and went there in 1883, there was a famous
medical practitioner from Kupishok (name unknown).
In a list of donors to Israel in 1896/97, the following
Kupishokers were found: Heschel Gaffen, Zeinvel Davidoff, Heshel
Yachilevich, Yakov Yacobson, Hirsh Jaffe, Shlomo Kaplan, Yehuda
Laib Mazel, Nechemia Steinberg. In 1894, in the assembly in
Odessa, Yehuda Leib Mazel represented the Jewish community.
In 1899, there were 100 members in the Lovers of Zion. The
chairman in 1898 and 1899 was Getzel Hoffman. Friend Zinabar
greatly inspired the activity of the group.
In a list of donors to Israel in 1909, the following
Kupishokers were found: Itzhak Moro, Sh. Z. Minkin, Yehudit
Shternfeld, Fayge Hoffman.
In an old cemetery in Jerusalem is found the tombstone of
Ruske, the daughter of Reb Itzhak from Kupishok, dated 1828.
The "Agudah" (religious organization) was very
powerful. In a list of dues paying members, the following
Kupishokers people were found in 1913: Abraham Ziger, Abraham
Pelovitz, Aaron Leib Cohen, Elchonan Shapiro, Eliezer Tzemach
Canter, Asher Adirim (?) Ber Oshry, Ber-Tuvi Shapiro, Hertz
Segal, Zalman Libman, Yedidi Yeller, Yedidi Yelovitz, Yehude
Zindel, Yehuda Tzip, Yakov Geffen, Itzhak Oshry, Israel Bar Moshe
Pesach Cohen, Kalman Levin, Shafti Jaffe, Shlomo Brenner, Shimon Moshe Melamed, Shimshen Chiper, Broche-Baile Faivelson,
Chaim Abraham Feivelson, Fayge Feivelson, Yacov Trapido, Mendel
Shlomo Kaplan, Aaron Leib Cohen, Ben-Zion Cutler, Yehude
Krietzik, Menachem Krietzik, Chaim Hurvitz, Yakov Ginsburg, Rabbi
Reb Efrain Yosef Alperovitz, Alexander Shlevinsky, Yakov Jaffe,
Moshe Elihu Alperovitz.
Moshe Block, Akiva Leib Libetz (?), Abraham Gershen Troib,
Elihu Margolis, David Sachar, Toibe Jaffe, Yanah Feinberg, Itzhak
Hurvitz, Leib-David Zaks, Meir Kodesh, Yehude Vine, Efraim Itzhak
Gafanovitz, Shmuel Nathan Zelbovitz, Abraham Eliash, Aaron Oshry,
David-Tuvi Shapiro, Yakov Zelig Levin, Itzhak Movshovitz, Leib
Shusterman, Mordechai-Idel Valberg, Moshe Shapiro.
From the beginning of the 20th century until World War I, the
"Bund" was an important social factor in the Jewish
life of Kupishok. It's entire activity centered around, of
course, the Jewish workers and the general revolutionary
community. They organized May Day celebrations, secret meetings
in the forests, and took park in revolutionary demonstrations
with non-Jewish workers.
In 1903, they issued a manifest in the city along with
Lithuanian workers. In the illegal Bundist newspapers, there
appeared articles about the activities of the Kupishoker Bund.
Reb Itzhak Trivash. His father, Reb Shneir, was Chief Rabbi of
Frankfurt-Am-Main in the 1700's. According to the date of his
family, one can figure that Reb Itzhak was born at the end of the
17th or maybe the beginning of the 18th century. His grandson,
Reb David Ber Yehuda, was born in 1704 in Zagare. Later, he
became the Jewish judge in Vilna where he died in 1804. Reb David
Ber is the author of the "Golden Crown" and a "New
Song" (Vilna). Reb Itzhak's brother Reb Shimen lived in
Moshe Eliezer Ber Zinvil (Levi) was a resident of Kupishok
which was written in his books - "House of Levite" and
"Torah of the House," which were published in Shklav. He was a
former resident of Shavel. He was called Reb Leiser from Kupishok.
Reb Shmuel bar Chaim, Reb of Svadotsh, Utian, and Kupishok,
until his death around 1822.
Reb Meir bar Abraham Segal Epstein (called Reb Meir from
Shnipishok) from 1833. From 1837 he served in Vilna where he died
in 1851 at 71 years of age. He wrote the "Interpretations of
the Shas" and "Midrash Konin". His son, Reb Shmuel, served in Kosoba and
Reb Alexander (Sender) HaCohen Kaplan, former Rabbi of
Vilkomir and from 1839 until his death in 1884, he served
Kupishok. He was the author of "The Vows of Sholom"
(Vilna, 1841). His questions and answers appeared in a book
called "The Crown of Itzhak". He served in Shavel and
wrote in a book authored by Saul Shapiro, "The Admiration of
Saul". His renewal of the Torah is found in "The
Assembly of Itzhak" by Itzhak bar Nissan (Vilna).
Reb Abba Yakov Borochov was born in 1848 in Dershonishok. From
1886-1889, he was the leader and Rabbi in Mayshegole, and later,
Rabbi in Vekshne, Polozk and Volkovisk. He was one of the first
Rabbis in the Lovers of Zion in 1938 in Jerusalem where he lived
and died in 1938. He wrote "The Rope of Jacob" (Vilna
Reb Yehuda-Leib Shalom Tzinabel served Kupishok from
1890-1898. Former Rabbi of Rubinishok and Ostrof.
Reb Yehuda-Leib Fein was born in 1871 in Vilkomir. Former
Rabbi in Pisatchne (near Minsk). From 1900-1906, he served
Kupishok, later in Oshmena and Slonim, where he was killed in
Reb Avraham Zvi bar Moshe Brodneh, born in 1850 in Dvinsk. In
1893, he was a Chassidic Rabbi with the title of Teacher and
Advisor - he was not called "Rabbi" by the Mishnagdim.
He was responsible for the following books: "The Blessing of
Abraham" (Vilna), "The Life of Moses" (Jerusalem),
"The Abbreviation of Tanya", "The Protectors of
Abraham" and "The Righteous of Abraham" (all
printed in Jerusalem).
Reb Eliahu-Meir Feivelson was born in 1867 in Vigova and died
in 1928. Rabbi in Krakow and from 1907 in Kupishok. He was a
fierce fighter for the Agudeth Israel and a fanatic anti-Zionist. A
productive and orthodox preacher, he wrote explanations of the
Torah, articles in publications, i.e., "The Gates of
Zion", "The Greatness of the Torah", "The
Announcer", "The Level", "Lebanon",
"The Jews", "The Nation". He also wrote the
preface in books by Asher, "The Life and Peace",
"The Truth", "Peace in Internal Israel"
(Warsaw), and also in "Life Saving". His son-in-law,
Reb Zalman Partzovsky, was born in 1900 in Yanove and was killed in 1941.
Chatzekevitz, Chassidic Rabbi born in 1889 in
Bachnut, Russia. Former Rabbi in Panemunke, Abel, and Kupishok,
where he was killed.
Reb Nachman Gershon Oshry - judge at the start of the century.
M. Berzon - Chaplain of the army (1895).
I.S. Gafni - wrote the "Memory of Jacob" (Vilna)
which has a link with Kupishok.
Reb Elchonan bar Yehuda-Leib Cohen born here in 1874. Rabbi in
Poshviatin and from 1926 in Dvinsk where he was killed in 1941.
He wrote "Answers to the Questions". Reb Aaron Saul
Zelig Mayerov (Vilna) created his own discoveries and remarks.
Reb Elchonan was the son-in-law of Reb Mordechai Elishberg of Boisk.
In the book "Ateret Ytzhak" by Itzhak Isaac, Rabbi
of Shavel, there are found articles (questions and answers) by
Aryeh Leib from Kupishok.
Reb Moise bar Shmuel Eter, born here in 1885. From 1908 until
1924, Rabbi of Tchersk and from 1925, Rabbi in Harrisburg
(America). He wrote explanations of the Torah and a journal about
Yakov-Shmuel Yaffe was born 1888. From 1907, he lived in
America and in 1922, he received his doctorate in chemistry and
bacteriology. During a period of ten years, he wrote popular
scientific discussions and many of his articles were printed in
the "Tzukunft" (New York), the "Free Workers
Voice" and "The Day" (in Yiddish). In Lemberg, the
Jewish farming magazine, published in Israel, published his
articles as well as "The Land of Hope" (about Walter
Laudermilk's book of the same name). In 1937, he became Professor
of Pedology and Science concentrating on the source of the Earth.
His book "Pedology" is a reference for earth science.
He died in Haifa in 1963.
Reb Baruch bar Eliahu-Meir Feivelson, born 1895, ordained in
Radiner Yeshiva. He died at age 38 and wrote in
"Explanations of the Torah".
Reb Elihu Lutsky fro Jidik, born in 1898, died 1941.
Reb Zelig bar Shlomo Orelovitz, born 1898, last Rabbi of
Reb Ephraim Oshry, born 1909. He survived the Slabotke Ghetto.
After the liberation, he was the Rabbi in Kovno from 1946-1948.
He built and led the Yeshiva there. He authored "From the
Lights of Exile" in Rome. Since 1949, he lives in New York
where he is currently Rabbi of a large synagogue. He wrote
"The Words of Ephaim", "From the Depths",
"The Valley of Death", "The Sayings of
Ephraim", "The Wealth of Pesach", "Mercies of
Ephraim", and "The Annihilation of Lithuanian
Jewry", all in New York.
Shlomo Yeshua Greenbloy, born 1876. Jewish journalist from
1904 in London and in 1909 in Chicago. He wrote in "The
Jewish Express", "The Jewish Journal" and the
"Daily World" and "Jewish Record" in Chicago.
He also wrote humorous articles and stories and died in Chicago
Shneir Jaffe, born approximately 1885. He came to America in
1906 where he wrote articles in "The Jewish Socialist".
He also wrote songs an created "Episodes of My Life",
printed in Boston in 1953.
Nathan Swerdlin, born 1907. He lived in Vilna where he studied
law and political science in the University. In 1936, he came to
New York where he received his doctorate. From 1928-36, he was a
co- writer in the Vilna daily paper "The Time". In
1945, he was part-time writer for the "Tog" and the
"Tog Morgen Journal" where he became arts and theater
editor. He wrote about film, arts, music and about Jewish theater
and also contributed to the "Theater Mirror" in Paris
and the "Tzukunft". He co-authored with Zilbervieg, the
"A Lexicon of Jewish Theater". He died in 1981 in New
The newspaper "Hamelitz" contained the following correspondents: Moshe Aaron Mitchel, Ben-Dov, Mordechai Kaplan,
David Nathan Kadishevitz, Mendel Muzikant. All the correspondents used pen names for fear of being recognized.
The correspondents for the paper "Hatzfira" were:
Moshe Cohen, Leib Mazel (died (1897), Kazriel Gordon, his
son-in-law, Getzel Hoffman, Dr. R. Yekelson. Some of the
previously mentioned correspondents also worked here.