The Jews of Krakow and its Surrounding Towns

 

The Miodowa Cemetery

The 'New' cemetery - at 55 Miodowa Street - was established in 1800, and - apart from a short break during World War II - has been used continually ever since. Several thousand tombstones remain preserved - the oldest ones dating back to the 1840's. A memorial to the victims of the Shoah is located near the entrance.

The cemetery was extensively damaged during the war, and many of the tombstones were destroyed. In fact, it was used as a training ground by the Germans. During this period of upheaval and destruction, someone had the foresight and good sense to hide the Chevra Kadisha's Cemetery Register in a chimney of one of the Judenstadt houses. After the war, during renovations, this Register was re-discovered and was again used to record the locations of post-war burials. This book was eventually brought to Israel by the late Yaakov Lieberman, whose wife, Shoshana, has now made it available to Jewish Genners. The Register only covers the years since 1922, and lists the plot, row, and grave number for over 20,000 burials. Volunteers are currently entering this data into a database which will shortly be available on JewishGen.

The map below, which shows a rough guide to the locations of the various plots, may be used in conjunction with the cemetery Register to locate specific grave sites. This 'map' will be updated with a more accurate one in the near future.