Bessarabia Province

Sorok District

 

Zagaritza (Zgurica)

Kolonie Zgurica

Located W of Soroki

Population:

From the Encyclopedia Judaica:

(Rum. Zgurita), Jewish agricultural village in N. Moldavian S. S. R., in the region of Bessarabia. Zguritsa was founded in 1853 on an area of over 1,000 acres rented by settlers from Bessarabia. In 1878 the new owner, a Jew, canceled the lease of the estate and Zguritsa lost its status as a Jewish agricultural colony. Its residents were then registered as burghers. From 1890 to 1903 further Jewish settlement in Zguritsa was prohibited by virtue of the May Laws issued on May 3, 1882. In 1897 Zguritsa's Jewish population was 1,802 (85% of the total population). In 1899, 36 families rented 370 acres in the area, mainly for growing vegetables. Agrarian reform in Rumania in 1922 granted plots of land to 150 Jews of Zguritsa. In 1925 the 193 members of the local loan fund included 40 farmers, 25 artisans, and 113 tradesmen. In 1930 there were 2,541 Jews in Zguritsa (83.9% of the total population), supporting a kindergarten and an elementary school both of the Tarbut organization.

Courtesy of:
"Encyclopedia Judaica"
1972, Keter Publishing House Jerusalem Ltd
Jerusalem, Israel

From the Hebrew Press:

bullet

1912 - Abrahan Yosef ben Chaim Nachum Frizman (born 1840) was rabbi.

 

Surnames:

Sources: SF

back to chart

 

    

Home 

Jewish Gen Home Page

 KehilaLinks Directory