photographs were taken by Max and Denise Wolecki who visited
Wieluń in 2005. They were
accompanied by their cousin, Michael Wolecki of Haifa, Israel, who
was born in
Wieluń before World War II.
The pictures were
contributed to this website by another cousin, Asher Szmulewicz of
Jerusalem and by the Wolecki family.
Shown in the
photographic collages inside the Jewish Museum are scenes of the
city as it appeared during the war: 1939 - 1945.
Please click on a
photograph to enlarge it.
The Jewish Museum of
Above left: inside the
Above right: an
important church in
From inside the
Jewish Museum of
outbreak of WWI Russian occupiers left
Wieluń. After a few
weeks the city was occupied by the Germans. Shown is the
German Army at the Old Town Square "Stary Rynek" in
Wieluń Synagogue, built in 1830 - 1840, bombed by the
Germans on September 1st, 1939.
First page of
Shaagat HaArie (the Lion's roar), the famous
commentary of tractate Makot, published in Warszaw.