A Note on the
History of Gusyatin, Ukraine
Material compiled by William Feuerstein and Joan Baronberg
Summary of key dates and population figures for Gusyatin/Husyatin:
- 1559 -- Husiatyn recognized as a town.
- 1577 -- documentation of Jews living in Husiatyn.
- 1765 -- 1200 Jews living in Husiatyn late 17th century-second
synagogue built, fortress style
- 1772 -- After the partition of Poland, Husiatyn became a
divided town. The Zbrucz River, which runs through Husiatyn,
became the border between Austria and Russia. Most of the Jews
and the Jewish institutions were in the Austrian section.
- During the 1800s, a new synagogue, a house of study, a hospital,
old age home, and mikveh were built. Husiatyn hosted large trading
fairs, attended by Jews from neighboring towns as well as longer
- 1861 -- Hasidic court established in Husiatyn.
- 1900 -- 4200 Jews were living in Husiatyn, constituting about
2/3 of the population. Many Zionist societies were founded in
Husiatyn during the next decade.
- 1915 -- typhoid fever epidemic
- 1916 -- Russian expulsion and disease caused the Jewish population
to be decimated.
- post WW1 -- the Austrian section of Husiatyn is turned over
- 1921 -- 370 Jews remained in Husiatyn.
- 1941 -- Husiatyn was occupied by Germany. The Jews were either
killed or put in forced labor.
- 1942 -- The remaining Jews of Husiatyn were deported to Kopyczynce
and Probuzna where they either killed or were sent to work camps
or to the concentration camp of Belzac.
This information was gathered from various
sources including Beth Hatefutsoth, Communities and Family Names.