A brief history of Rzeszów
The Jewish community of Rzeszów dates back to the 15th century. In the 17th century, a synagogue was erected and a cemetery was opened. The Jewish population numbered:
|1800||3,375 (c. 75% of the total)|
On the outbreak of World War II, there were about 14,000 Jews in Rzeszów.* There has been no Jewish community in Rzeszów since The War.
For the history of the Jewish community of Rzeszów and for accounts of life in the community over a period of more than 150 years, access the Rzeszów Yizkor Book.
* Cecil Roth & Geoffrey Wigoder, eds., Encyclopedia Judaica (Jerusalem: 1972), 537.