General History and Geography:
Lackenbach is an Austrian municipality in the
District of Oberpullendorf, Burgenland. Its Hungarian name is
It is surrounded by meadows and forests and is located at the foothills of the Ödenburg Gebirge mountain range near the Hungarian border.
Its area is 18.1 km˛, Elevation 313 m, Postal code 7322, Area code 02619
The community in Lackenbach had a Synagogue, a Nikveh, a Jewish School, a Cemetery, and well developed and active Jewish community services, eg Khevra Kadisha burial society, and the club 'Zedokoh', whose role was the administration of the synagogue, the appointment of officials, and the care for visiting foreigners.
Lackenbach Destroyed Synagogue - inside (from Europeana):
Main source for the above is:
Historisches Ortslexikon Statistische Dokumentation zur Bevölkerungs- und Siedlungsgeschichte
(Historical lexicon Statistical documentation to the population and settlement history).
Ortslexikon is a statistical documentation of the
Austrian population and settlement history and includes
information on population figures and houses. It is used
to quantitatively support demographic, historical
settlement and culturally-informative work, and offers a
wide range of data on regional and local history. The
main purpose of this documentation is the inclusion of
data from the early statistical (late 18th to mid-19th
century) and the "pre-statistical" periods in the
quantitative description of the population and
settlement history, with the classification of older
data into time series ranging up to the most recent
The data collection is supplemented annually and is available to users by means of the website of the Österreichischen Akademie der Wissenschaften (Institute of Demography of the Austrian Academy of Sciences) free of charge. Data cited are from the general source "Historisches Ortslexikon (Angabe des Bundeslandes)" [Historical Gazetteer (of the Federal State)], as well as specified sources for particular details.
Information on the population status derives from standard population censuses from 1869 to present, from earlier censuses (ecclesiastical soul censuses, military conscriptions, Census 1857) in the "early statistical" period from 1754 to 1857, and from tax, manorial, ecclesiastical or military sources in the "pre-statistical" period.
The Editor of the Historisches Ortslexikon is Dr. Kurt Klein, before retiring an employee (most recently, Vice President) of the Austrian Statistical Office (now Statistics Austria) and a lecturer at the Institute for Economic and Social History at the University of Vienna.
More information about the Jewish population in Lackenbach:
Lakompak (Lakenbach, A[ustria]) An old Jewish
community, one of "The seven communities"
(Seve Kehilosz – Sheva kehilot). Documents show that there were Jews living there already in the 16th century (See: M.Pollak - History of the Jews of Sopron), whose numbers were greatly increased by Jews ousted from Styria, Sopron and Vienna. In 1851, out of a population of 1800, 1200 were Jews. They did commerce with the neighbouring Lower Austria, Styria, as well as Sopron. The most prestigious merchants came from the Hacker family. The community suffered a lot during the Bethlen and Rakoczy fights*. Rabbis: Chajim Bucher around 1600, Benjamin b. Majer As (Mhrm As), Salamon Lipschitz, Salom Ullmann (Shalom Charif), Abraham Ullmann, David Ullmann, Moses Deutsch. (M.B.)
* Two major armed insurrections against the Habsburg rule
The Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish Cemetery
is located in the centre of the town, behind the Church.
It is 9,765 m ˛ large. The oldest gravestone is from 1729.
There are 1747 known graves in the cemetery. It was active till March 1938.
The cemetery has been cared for by the Vienna community's Israelitische Kultusgemeinde, with the help of The Verein Schalom association.
photos in Cemetery photos
See in Holocaust - Yizkor pages.