Encyclopedia of Jewish Life Before and During the Holocaust"
Spector and Geoffrey Wigoder (New York: New York University Press;
Yad Vashem Publications, 2001), s.v. “Krasilov.” Volumn II, Page 671.
Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902)", IV, p. 615:
[Geographical Dictionary Kingdom of Poland (1880-1902), IV, p. 615: "Krasiłów."]
Leonid Kogan, November 2008
In 1573 here, in Krasilov, the brave Rotmistr of Yarmolincy militia of the prince Ostrogsky attacked the Tartars' camp, which was standing nearby, and killed (cut off) all of them. In 1753, Ignacy Sapieha, the Mstislav voevoda (voevodas were the chief leaders of the large territories, which were called Voevodstvos - E. Sh.) got this territory (Krasilov with 18 surrounding villages), as the present, from the "ordinator" Janush Sangushko, the latest proprietor of Ostrog who inherited it from his ancestors, under the condition to deliver 33 armed riders with horses for the protection of the country. In 1776, Ksaveriy, Prince Sapieha's descendant and heir, who became the Mstislav voevoda, in his turn, got the privilege to arrange 2-week-long fairs from the king Stanislav August. Their number was determined as 10. Here, in Krasilov, the artist, Ksaveriy Kanevskij, was born.
|Return to Home Page|
Copyright © 2008 Barry Chernick