The Jews of Krakow and its Surrounding Towns

 

The "Old" (Remuh) Cemetery of Krakow

General View of Old (Remuh) Cemetery

The Remuh synagogue (acronym for Rabbi Moses Isserles) is located in Kazimierz, the Jewish quarter of Krakow, and was founded in 1553. The Remuh was considered to be the 'Maimonides of Polish Jewry' and was known for his universal outlook, his extensive Talmudic and secular knowledge, his manner of study, and his humility. His published works included treatises on halakhah, philosophy, kabbalah, homiletics, and science. 

The adjacent Remuh cemetery was used until 1799, and contains the graves of the Remuh and his family. Many of the tombstones remain, although they have weathered poorly with the passage of time. 

About 50 images of tombstones can be seen in the Krakow Album

(Photos kindly provided by Dr. Adam Schogger)