These manifests contain considerable information about the alien. The following is a list of data fields found in the manifest:
1. No. on List
2. HEAD-TAX STATUS (usually indicated UNDER 18 or blank)
3. NAME IN FULL, Family Name, Given Name
4. AGE, Years, Months
6. Married or Single
7. Calling or occupation
8. Able to: Read (meaning literate); Read what language; Write
9. Nationality (Country of which citizen or subject)
10. Race or people (most entries were like Hebrew, Scandinavian, Finnish)
11. Last permanent residence: Country; City or town
12. The name and complete address of nearest relative or friend in country whence alien came
13. Final destination(inteneded future permanent residence): State; City or town
14. No. on List
15. Whether having a ticket to that final destination
16. By whom was passage paid?
17. Whether in possession of $50, and if less how much.
18. Whether ever before in the United States, and if so, when and where?; Yes or No; If yes, Year or period of years; when?
19. Whether going to join a relative or friend; and if so what relative or friend; and his name and complete address
20. Purpose of coming to United States: whether alien intends to return to country whence he came after engaging temporarily in laboring pursuits in the United States; Length of time Alien intends to remain in the United States: Whether alien intends to become citizen of the United States
21. Ever institutionalized for care and treatment of a disease or supported by charity? If so, which?
22. Whether a polygamist
23. Whether an anachist
24. Whether a person who believes in or advocates the overthrow by force or violence of the Government of the United States or all forms of law, etc.
25. Whether coming by reason of any offer, promise or agreement, whether expressed or implied, to labor in the United States.
26. Whether alien has been previously deported within one year
27. Condition of health, mental and physical
28. Deformed or crippled, Nature length of time and cause.
29. Height: Feet; Inches
31. Color of: Hair; Eyes
32. Marks of Identification
33. Place of birth: Country; City or Town
These alien manifests can be purchased from the National Archives and Records Administration ( as of March 2001) at a cost on per alien surname basis. The first step in ordering a manifest printout is to obtain an order form from the National Archives. The form is titled, National Archives Order For Copies of Ship Passenger Arrival Records. You do not send any money with the order. If the manifest for your requested surname is found, then you will be notified and asked for payment. After payment is made, the manifest will be sent. If your surname is not found, you will be notified and no payment is required.
The Order form requires the information provided below. The more information provided the better chance that your surname will be found. The information required is:
DATE OF ARRIVAL
PORT OF ENTRY
SHIP NAME OR CARRIER LINE
PASSENGER COUNTRY OF ORIGIN
FULL NAME OF PASSENGER (last, first, and middle initial)
NAMES OF MEMBERS OF IMMIGRANT FAMILY
The point of contact for order forms is
TEXTUAL REFERENCE BRANCH (NWDT1)
NATIONAL ARCHIVES AND RECORDS ADMINISTRATION
7TH AND PENNSYLVANIA AVENUE, NW
WASHINGTON, DC 20408
Phone : 202-501-5170
Copyright © 2001 Alan Weiser
Back to Kolomea Administrative District Main Page