These pictures are used with the permission of the owner,
Donald J. Krysakowski.
The Baranów Sandomierski Castle is a wonderful example of
Renaissance architecture in Poland. Build in 1591-1606 it is situated on the in
the middle part of the River Vistula it emerges from the Vistula lowlands
surrounded by a splendid park. The castle was build in the years 1591-1606 and
is the former seat of the Leszczyñski family, it is one of few well preserved
The castle in Baranów is a three-floor building built on
rectangular plan. At its corners stand four round towers crowned with
distinctive cupolas. The central part of the front facade comprises a protruding
tower with the main entrance gate, leading through a stone portal into an
arcaded courtyard. The columns of the ground-floor gallery rest on plinths
decorated with stone faces, while the ceilings and walls are covered with
The castle was destroyed
twice by fire, and was also damaged badly during the Second World War and the
first postwar years. Although nothing remained of its interiors, the building
itself survived. In 1953, the reconstruction of Baranów Castle got underway and
was finished in 1968, returning the historic building to its former glory. Now
it houses a museum and a hotel. [SLB]
Baranów Sandomierski Castle Entrance.
Baranów Sandomierski Castle - Colonnade in the
Baranów Sandomierski Castle - View of round corner tower.
Baranów Sandomierski Castle - View
Baranów Sandomierski Castle - Garden
Baranów Sandomierski Castle - Staircase in the interior courtyard
© Copyright 2005 Kolbuszowa Region Research Group. All rights reserved.
Back to Baranów Shtetl Home page