CURRENT CZECH NAME: Hodonín
OTHER NAMES/SPELLINGS: Göding, Goeding
Hodonín is a small town in Moravia, located at 48.52
longitude and 17.08 latitude, 55-60 km SW of Brno
A Jewish community existed in Hodonín as early as
the first half of the 17th century. Most
Jewish families of the fairly large community were
expelled from the town in the 18th century.
Only 13 Jewish families were granted permission to
reside in Hodonín in 1798-1848: David Bauer;
Isak Berger; Samson Frankl; Lazar Frankfurt;
Benjamin Haas; Israel Körner; Isak Mändel (Rabbi
Sekl Göding); Markus Matzner; Markus Popper; Lazar
Redlich; Jakob Stiasny; Bernhard Weiner and Benjamin
GENEALOGICAL RESOURCES: Birth, Death and Marriage record books for Hodonín may be located at the Czech State Archives in Prague, Statni istredni archiv, tr. Milady Horokove 133, CZ-166 21 Praha 6, Czech Republic, tel/fax: +42 (2) 333-20274. Search JewishGen/Internet resources for Hodonín.
NOTABLE RESIDENTS AND DESCENDANTS:. The journalist and author Siegmund Kolisch (b. 1816 Korycany, d. 28 December 1886 Hodonín) owned a mine in Hodonín. His brotherís gg-grandson, E. Randol Schoenberg, is the author of Getting Started With Czech-Jewish Genealogy on the Austria-Czech SIG web page and the submitter of this page.
SYNAGOGUES: A synagogue was built in the former ghetto in the 17th century, and rebuilt in the 19th century when Moorish style elements were added. It was destroyed during the Nazi occupation.
There are two Jewish cemeteries in Hodonín.
One cemetery location is suburban, on flat land,
isolated, and marked by a sign or plaque in
written in the local language. The marker mentions
the Jewish community cemetery. The cemetery is
reached by turning directly off a public road, and
it is open to all. It is surrounded by no wall
or fence and there is no gate. The approximate
size of cemetery is 0.7918 hectares, with the
boundaries unchanged since 1939. There are 1
to 20 stones, none in their original
locations. Stones are datable from 17th
century to 19th century. The cemetery has
tombstones and memorial markers made of marble and
granite. The tombstones are variously flat
shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones
and flat stones with carved relief decoration.
Some of the tombstones have traces of painting on
their surfaces, with iron decorations or lettering
and with bronze decorations or lettering.
Inscriptions on tombstones are in Hebrew, German and
Czech. The cemetery contains no special
memorial monuments nor any known mass graves.
The present owner of the cemetery property is the
municipality, and the cemetery property is now used
for recreation use (park, playground, sports
field). The adjacent properties are commercial
or industrial. The cemetery is visited
occasionally by private visitors.
Vandalism occurred during World War II, and between
1945 and 1981. Although no maintenance has
been performed, there is occasional clearing or
cleaning by authorities. Uncontrolled
access and vandalism pose a moderate threat;
weather erosion, pollution, vegetation, existing
nearby development and proposed nearby development
constitute additional threats.
CONTACTS: Town officials: Magistrate ing. Frantisek Karkoska, Mestsky urad, 695 32 Hodonín, tel. 0628/22519. Local officials: Anna Cinkova, Mestsky urad - referat kultury, 695 32 Hodonín, tel. 0628/22519. Regional officials: PhDr. Jaromir Micka, Okresni urad - referat kultury, 695 00 Hodonín, tel. 0628/416. Interested parties: Muzeum T.G. Masaryka, dir. Dr. Tatana Martonova, zamecek, 695 00 Hodonín, tel. 0628/21834. Other sources: Marketa Mlynska, Druzstevni ctvrt 12/3131, 695 03 Hodonín, tel. 0628/22851.
SOURCES: Gedenkbuch der Untergegangenen Judengemeinden Mährens, Hugo Gold ed. (1974), pp.. 54-56; Die Juden und JudengemeindenMährens in Vergangenheit unde Gegenwart, Hugo Gold ed. (1929), pp: 211-224 (pictures); Jiri Fiedler, Jewish Sights of Bohemia and Moravia (1991), p. 73; International Association of Jewish Genealogical Societies Cemetery Project, Czech Republic, Hodonín.