Town Diagram - Vilnius Archives (1853) -
"The 1853 plan of the state village of Kvietniai and
parsonage of Gargzdai which are situated among the lands of
Mr. Baron Renne"
The 1853 Diagram is evidently based on magnetic north rather
than true north, a difference of about 20 degrees.
The 1853 diagram, Bottom Part may be compared to the 1860-1880
Karte des Deutschen Reiches
in the picture below.
Discrepancies could be due to migration of the river, the
difficulty of surveying close to the river or in elevated areas,
changes in road locations, and possible inaccuracies in the
The 1853 Diagram may also be even more closely
compared with a map from 1886, from Lietuvos valstybinio
istorijos archyvo f. 544, ap. 1, b. 4531, k. 1-3, which is
shown at Gargzdu
parkas. Faktai, p. 3:
Although not yet translated from Russian
into English, the 1886 map evidently shows the lands
surrounding Gargzdai owned by Baron Rönne, from which two
narrow rectangular strips are omitted. The strips
from the 1853 diagram fit into the 1886 map as
There is an excellent correspondence between
empty strip in the 1886 map and the lands
shown belonging to the parsonage in the 1853 diagram.
empty strip in the 1886 map only partially
corresponds to the 1853 diagram. The 1853 diagram
reaches farther to the east than does the empty strip in the
|Strip from 1853 diagram
inserted into 1886 map
|Same area of 1886 map
Some lands in the eastern portion of 1853 strip were
apparently acquired as part of the Estate by 1886. These
changes may be related to the government's confiscation of
church lands following revolts of 1831 and 1863. For
information regarding the confiscation, see Janina Valanciute,
Gargzdu miesto ir parapijos istorija
Diemedzio Leidykla, 1998 (ISBN 9986-23-047-0) 501 - 502; see
(History) portion of the Town of Gargzdai website; Wikipedia
regarding the "January Uprising."
For further comments regarding the church, and buildings at the
far left of the middle parcel, see the similar Town Diagram for 1862.
Town Diagram - 1853
Town Diagram 1853 -
Copyright © 2006-2013 John S. Jaffer