is situated 60 km northeast of Kamenets-Podolskii,
on the way to Vinnitsa.
The town is located
in the broad valley surrounded by high hills, on the banks of the
(a tributary of the
Dnestr), on the road between Dunaevtsy (21
and Novaia Ushitsa (13 km).
Built in 1776, the
big wooden synagogue was located on the bank of
the Ushitsa River. An ezrat nashim (women's
gallery) was added later to the second
level. The walls and cupola were decorated
with frescos, some included prayers and
psalms. The frescos included symbolic
mystical depictions of a battle between a lion and
a unicorn and a carriage passing through the gates
and other representations of Paradise.
Map of Minkovitz area
Visit to Minkovt'sy
Thanks to Joan Adler and Bobbi Furst for
providing a trip report of their visit to our
Book about Minkowitz
||This funny, sad, thoroughly
engaging book just came out to critical
acclaim. It is about Judith Fein's
search for Minkowitz, and how it turned her
life into a detective story and solved the
mystery of where she came from and what
remains of the world her grandmother left
The book was published in Jan, 2014.
(Click on the book's image to connect to
Amazon to order)
Photos by Judith's husband, Paul Ross are
located on the Photos page.