L'vove, Kherson, Ukraine
Originally, the name was preceded by Kolonie (Yiddish) or Koloniya (Russian), meaning a colony, but that was eventually dropped. Spelling variations included Lwowo (Yiddish), L'vovo (Russian) and the current Ukrainian L'vove. For more information please see JGFF Town Search.
The 1877 map of the village contains around 80 houses, a sinagogue and a school. As of 1939 census the L'vove population was 2134 (that number may include non-Jewish population).
The Jewish cemetery was established in 1890 and the last burial was in 1941. The type of Jewish community which used this cemetery was Hasidic. Unfortunately, the cemetery was vandalized during the WWII and later removed.
L'vove ceased to exist as a Jewish settlement in 1941 when its entire Jewish population was executed by the advancing German army.
One of L'vove researchers visited L'vove on June 26, 2003. All colored pictured on this web site were taken during that trip.