Learn about the intriguing story of the descendants of the Spanish Jews who hid their faith during the Spanish Inquisition. Now over 500 years (20 generations) later they retain some of their Jewish customs, some with the distinct knowledge thatthey are Jews, and others who have no idea. Recently a course on the fundamentals of Judaism at a temple in Santa Fe, New Mexico attracted many who may have been seeking their Jewish roots.
Links to Information on the Crypto-Jews of New Mexico and Arizona
Read poetry by the Chicana Crypto-Jewish poet Miriam Herrera including "Kaddish for Columbus." New Dec 2007.
New Links from an article in the December 2006 Hadassah Magazine - "Return Receipt Requested" by Andree Aelion Brooks:
- Schulamith Halevy on Anusim (Crypto-Judaism)
- Rabbi Ron Cohen, email@example.com
- Rabbi Jacques Cukierkorn, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sonya Loya, email@example.com
- Rabbi David Kunin, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rabbi Rigoberto Emmanual Vinas, email@example.com
- Casa Shalom: Institute for Marrano-Anusim Studies in Gan Yavnah, Israel
- Society For Crypto Judaic Studies
- The Descendants of the Conversos: A Comparative Discussion of Practices" by Melissa I. Amado, Director of the Bloom Southwest Jewish Archives
- Luis Carvajal's 400th Yartzheit by Reid Heller
- The Crypto-Jews: An Ancient Heritage Comes Alive Again
- HALAPID - THE PUBLICATION OF THE SOCIETY FOR CRYPTO JUDAIC STUDIES
- Who are Crypto-Jews (also known as "marranos")?
- "Sephardic Sites" of the Ivri-NASAWI (New Association of Sephardi/Mizrahi Artists & Writers Intl.) 1033 N. Orlando Ave. Los Angeles CA 90069 323-650-3157 email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone number in New York is 212-362-9074 and in the San Francisco Area is 415-564-8804.
- Site of the Southwest Jewish Archives at the University of Arizona - Crypto-Jews
- THE SOCIETY FOR CRYPTO-JUDAIC STUDIES
- Suggested Readings on Conversos in Latin America
- Highly recommend the book The Mezuzah in the Madonna's Foot - Marranos and Other Secret Jews by Trudi Alexy, published by Harper, 1993, paperback in 1994. Very interesting and thought provoking book, an easy read, recommended for Jewish book groups; gives a different prespective on the Holocaust, i.e., Spain's role in saving Jews during the Shoah. Also describes the recent discovery of long lost Marranos in New Mexico and the southwest.
- Mistaken Identity? The Case of New Mexico's "Hidden Jews"
- See article by Michael E. Abrams, Ph D. on "The Passion Flower and the Crypto-Jews
- Another highly recommended new book: Remnants of Crypto-Jews Among Hispanic Americans by Gloria Golden
The following are reactions to this newly released book:
- Hidden deep in the heart of the American Southwest among the larger Hispanic population are descendants of the Sephardim, Jews from Spain and Portugal. Five hundred years after their expulsion from Spain remnants of Judaism are still practiced within Southwestern Hispanic communities. Often unaware of their origins, conversos have revealed, through oral history, how the ancestral faith of the Crypto-Jews has been passed on from generation to generation. "Five hundred years after the Inquisition, Gloria Golden manages to turn the little-known subject of crypto-Jews into an inspiring tale of identity. The rich portraiture and captivating oral histories offer a poignant view of what it means to discover and embrace one's Judaism." Elana Harris, Managing Editor, B'nai B'rith Magazine "Gloria Golden's images and text provide a valuable insight into the Crypto-Judaic world. All who are drawn to this fascinating subject will find great rewards in this volume." Rabbi Joshua Stampfer, Founder and First President of the Society for Crypto Judaic Studies "The impact of these photographs and related interviews cannot be measured. Surely, through their existence, we touch a part of our past, and preserve it for our children's children. It is another piece in the great puzzle of our scattered people." Flora Sussely, Director, Adult Programs, Mittleman Jewish Community Center
To become involved, contact :
- The Society for Crypto-Judaic Studies - HALAPID
- 333 Washington Blvd. #336
- Marina Del Rey, CA 90292
- Click here to reach their web site
- They print an informative newsletter quarterly
- Other web addresses of interest:
- The Alhambra Decree
- Jamaican Sephardic House
- Institut Sepharade Europeen
- Javurah Valencia (Spain)
- Instituto Maale Adumin (Judeo Espanyol)
- Aki Yerushalayim (Judeo Espanyol)
- Mexican Inquisition Documents at The Bancroft Library
Other Information of Interest: The origin of the name of the city of Albuquerque
Albuquerque, the largest city in New Mexico, derives its name from the Turkish Marrano name Albukerk, which is a popular family name in Turkey. This city was founded by a Portuguese marrano named Alfonso de Albuquerque, governor of Portuguese India. His grandson, Luis de Carjaval y de la Cueva, named the city in memory of his grandfather. Fernando Lopez De Mendizabal, another marrano, was appointed governor of Albuquerque. He hid his Jewish identity for awhile, but, was discovered, tortured and executed.
Based on an article in AVOTAYNU, the International Reviewof Jewish Genealogy Vol X, No. 1, Page 49-50