Location: 52° 11" N 25° 20" E - It is 150 miles SW of Minsk, on the southern outskirts of Hutava, Belarus. Now it is essentially the same place as Hutava, Belarus, since Hutava has expanded.
Before WWI, Yakovlevo was in the Kobrin Uezyd, Volochevich Volost, Grodno Gubernia, Russia. After WWI and before WWII, Jakowlewo was in the Drohiczyn District, Polesie Region, Poland.
Other names: Jakowlowo (Polish), Yakovlevo (Russian), Yakovleva, Kolonia, Kolonia Yakovlev, Kolonia Hutava, Kolonia Gutovo, or Gutovo. Sometimes it was referred to as a kibbutz or a moshav.Nearby Towns:
Flag of Belarus
History and Description
Yakovlevo, Kobrin uzed, Volochevich Volost. Founded in 1849. It was crown land (Kazennye in Russian), meaning national property. The settlement was originally comprised of 16 families from Kobrin. Fourteen families stayed. They received all the earth. They did not receive benefits. The soil was mostly loam (loamy soil). Source: Sbornik Materialov ob Ekonomicheskom Polozhenii Evreev v Rossii, Jewish Colonization Association, St. Petersburg, Russia 1904 (Russian). Translated by Favl Weisburd.
In 1858, there were 79 males and 72 females in the settlement.
Sbornik Materialov ob Ekonomicheskom Polozhenii Evreev v Rossii; Jewish Colonization Association, St. Petersburg, (1904), Table 34, Grodno Gubernia. Translation by Ben Weinstock, Favl Vaisbrod and Miriam Steinberg.
The Encyclopedia of Jewish Life Before and During the Holocaust; Spector, Shmuel and Geoffrey Wigoder, eds., NYU Press (2001) pp. 557-558.Note: this book is both a translation and an abridgement of the Pinkas haKehillot Polin.
Yakovlevo entry in Pinkas Hakehillot Polin: Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities in Poland, Spector, Shmuel, ed., Vol. V, p. 260, Yad Vashem, Jerusalem 1990 (Hebrew). Translation by Miriam Steinberg and Shira Abraham.
Also available at www.jewishgen.org/Yizkor/pinkas_poland/pol5_00260.html
Jewish agricultural moshav in the district and commonwealth of Drochiczyn.
Year General Population Jews
1849 (?) 14 Families
1898 (?) 354 people
1921 177 155 people
The moshav of Yakovlevo was founded in 1849, in the days of the rule of Czar Nicoli the First, on the lands of the state. Most of the settlers in the place came from Slonim. Every family received 270 dunam. In the first years the settlers suffered from a lack of agricultural knowledge and an absence of funding to build farms.
Jakowlewo in The Encyclopedia of Jewish Life Before and During the Holocaust, Spector, S. and Wigoder, G. eds., Vol. I, pp. 557-58 New York University Press, New York 2001.
The JewishGen Belarus Database is a multiple-database search containing more than 470,000 entries from Belarus which incorporates the following databases: JewishGen Family Finder (JGFF), JRI -Poland, Yizkor Book Necrologies, JewishGen Online Worldwide Burial Registry (JOWBR), Birth Records, Marriage Records, Belarus Names Database, Jewish Religious Personnel in the Russian Empire, 1853-1854, Vsia Rossiia , Grodno Gubernia 1912 Voters List, 1897 Census for Grodno Gubernia and much more! The database is a work in progress and new entries are being added regularly.
Links of Interest
Compiled by Debbie Kroopkin with significant research and input by
Miriam Steinberg, who has visited the site of Yakovlevo.
Last updated 30 March 2016
Copyright © 2010 Debbie Kroopkin
Webmaster: Ron Miller
This site is hosted at no cost by JewishGen, Inc., the Home of Jewish Genealogy.
If you have been aided in your research by this site and wish to further our mission of
preserving our history for future generations, your JewishGen-erosity is greatly appreciated.