Melnitse - מילניצע
included in the Suchostaw Region Research Group (SRRG). Shtetlach were interwoven
together like a tapestry and the Jewish people of neighboring shtetlach linked
by marriages, trade and marketing. They shared schools, cemeteries, kosher
butchers, bakers and more. Smaller shtetlach registered their birth, marriages
and death in a nearby larger shtetl. One should research the neighboring area as
well as an individual shtetl. The SRRG web site has resources and information
that is relevant to many shtetlach. To search for family links and learn more
about neighboring shtetlach, please visit the Suchostaw Region Research Group (SRRG).
Variant shtetl names: Mel'nytsya-Podil's'ka [ukr], Mielnica [pol], Melnitse [yid], Mel'nitsa-Podol'skaya [rus], Mielnica Podolska, Melnitsa, Melnitse, Mielnice, Myelnitsa, Melnycja Podilska, Melnytsia-Nad-Dnistrom, Mielnica Nad Dniestrem
SRRG Coordinator: Susana Leistner Bloch
Administrative District: Borszczów
Judicial / Tax District (Subdistrict): Mielnica
Circuit / Regional court: Czortków
Jewish Population before the Holocaust: 1,429 (in 1880), 1,411 (in 1921)
- Latitude-Longitude: 48°37' - 26°10'
- Altitude: 895 feet
- 38.2 miles SSE of Suchostaw
- 69.6 miles SSE of Tarnopol
- 14 miles NNW of Borszczów
|History and Geography: |
- Before WWI (c. 1900) Mielnica was part of Galicia / Austro-Hungarian Empire. Between WWI and WWII (c. 1930) Mielnica was part of Poland·
- In present day Ukraine, Mel’nytsya-Podil’s’ka is in the Ternopilska Oblast (Region / Province) and in Borshchivskyi Raion (County/ District). Borschiv is the seat of the Borshchivskyi Raion (County/ District).
- Mielnica / Mel’nytsya-Podil’s’ka is located on the banks of the Dniester River.
- Translation of the Pinkas Hakehillot entry for Mielnica submitted by Eleanore Jeanne Andelman (z"l)
- Mielnica School Signatures, from the 1926 Polish Declarations Of Admiration And Friendship For The United States.
- Mielnica School Signatures, Volume 18, page 255
- Mielnica School Signatures, Volume 18, pages 256
- Mielnica School Signatures, sorted Alphabetically - Volume 18, pages 255 and 256
- Ellis Island Database - Immigrants from Mielnica
- Mielnica Surnames 1823-1900 - JRI-Poland Database
- The Jewish Records Indexing - Poland and JewishGen “All Poland Database”. This is a multiple database search facility, which incorporates all of the databases listed below. The “All Poland Database” enables researchers to find indices to vital and related records from the independent JRI-Poland database as well as entries from other databases. The combined databases have more than five million entries for individuals living in areas now or formerly in Poland. . It includes the following databases: JewishGen Family Finder (JGFF), Yizkor Book Necrologies, JewishGen Online Worldwide Burial Registry (JOWBR), JewishGen Holocaust Database, The 1891 Galicia Business Directory, 1890-1891 New York Immigrants from Poland, Austria and Galicia and much more. The database is a work in progress, and new entries are being added regularly.
- The YIVO Encyclopedia of Jews in Eastern Europe. Type in the name of your town.
The People of Mielnica:
- The Tailor Shop by Eleanore Jeanne Andelman. The Tailor Shop follows the journey of individuals from Mielnica, and shows us a glimpse of life as it was in the old world and its transfiguration as they adapted to the American way.
|Links and Databases:
When searching the links below, please remember that many towns in
Ukraine have the same name. Make sure that the information you find refers
to the shtetl you are researching.
page is hosted at no cost to the public by JewishGen, Inc., a non-profit
corporation. If you feel there is a benefit to you in accessing this site,
your JewishGen-erosity is appreciated.
© Copyright 2011 Suchostaw Region Research Group. All rights
Compiled by Susana Leistner Bloch and Edward Rosenbaum.
Back to SRRG Home Page
| Jewish Gen Home Page
| KehilaLinks Directory
| Gesher Galicia
| JewishGen Online Worldwide Burial Registry (JOWBR)
| Jewish Records Indexing - Poland
07/12/2013 by ELR
Copyright © 2013 SRRG