Strážnice
Hodonín District, Moravia, Czech Republic
Also known as: Strassnitz, Dresnitz

The Jewish community in Strážnice was established as early as the mid-15th century, and was thriving by the middle of the 17th century. The Jewish population peaked in the mid to late 19th century. Over 420 Jewish residents were recorded in the Strážnice censuses of 1869 and 1880. After 1900, the Jewish community dwindled with emigration to Vienna and other larger towns. A congregation was reestablished after World War II, but no longer exists. The community's rabbis included well-known scholars such as Rabbi Shabtai ben Meir HaKohen (Shah), who served in Strážnice 1650-57, and Rabbi Moses Schreiber (Hatam Sofer), who served 1794-98.

About Strážnice

Resources

External Links


This page is hosted at no cost to the public by JewishGen, Inc., a non-profit corporation. Your JewishGen-erosity is appreciated!

Webmaster: Michael Gordy
Written by: Michael Gordy and Daniela Torsh
Copyright © 2012 Michael Gordy and Daniela Torsh
Last update: 12-Feb-2012

There have been   visitors to this site.

KehilaLinks Directory | JewishGen Homepage