Last updated September 23, 2012
The Founding and Death of Jewish Shchedrin
Bet Hatefusoth Nahum Goldmann Museum of the Jewish Diaspora, March 2000
Shchedrin, town in southeast Bobruisk Oblast, Belorussian SSR.
In 1841, Chayyim Golodetz, a timber dealer, established a Jewish colony on the estate of Shchedrin. Some of the settlers engaged in general agriculture and some in the timber business of the Golodetz family. In 1897, there were 4,022 Jews in Shchedrin (95% of the total population of the town), about 40% of them engaging in agriculture. A decline in the Golodetz family resulted in a general emigration from the town.
In 1926 there were 1,759 Jews (91% of the total population) in Shchedrin. The Soviet government attempted to develop agriculture and in 1930 over half of the 380 remaining Jewish families were engaged in that occupation, about half of them living on the Kolkhoz, Sotsialistishe Veg ("Socialist Way", in Yiddish).
With the German occupation in 1941, all Jews of Shchedrin were killed.
Scadryn Site Index
These include some sites outisde of JewishGen.org
|Historical Information||Personal Accounts||Reference Information/Sites|
|Home||Harry Katz: Pittsburgh Schedrinners||Belarus, Minsk & Schedrin Maps|
|Goldmann Museum: Schedrin||Kaplans: From Schedrin to Sioux City||Family Names in Schedrin|
|Founding of Schedrin||Sara Plotkin||Schedrin Family Researchers|
|Russian Law & Jewish Farming||Schedrin Descedents||What's in a Name?|
|Schedrin Reunions||History of the Family Golodetz||Evolution of Names|
Site created and maintained by Melissa Kaplan.