also known as: Ósándorfalva (HU), Šandrovo (CZ), Aleksandrovka (RU), Sandrif (Yid)
48°08' N / 23°30' E
~ Introduction ~
( Click the arrow in the buttons below for pronunciation. )
Oleksandrivka was part of the Kingdom of Hungary (11th century - 1920 and 1938-1944) with the name of Ósándorfalva in Máramaros megye (county), next part of Czechoslovakia (1920-1938) with the name of Šandrovo in Podkarpatská Rus (Sub-Carpathia), then part of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic (1945-1991) with the name of Aleksandrovka and, since 1991, known as Oleksandrivka, in the Khustskiy rayon (district) of Zakarpats'ka oblast (county) of Ukraine.
In Yiddish, Oleksandrivka was known as Sandrif.
Other spellings/names for Oleksandrivka are Shandorova, Alekszandrovka, Sándorfalva, Olekszandvika, Aleksandrówka and Olexandriwka.
Oleksandrivka is located about 10 miles ESE of Khust (Huszt).
Jews probably settled in Oleksandrivka at the turn of the 18th century.
In 1830, the Jewish population was 41, and there were 4 FUCHS families living in Oleksandrivka, namely: Meir, Itzik, Shabsai and Shulom FUCHS, who were probably family of each other. Shulom FUCHS' wife was Brocho bas Yakov who died in 1848 and is buried in Oleksandrivka. They had 2 sons, Mordechai and Shlomo.
In 1880, the Jewish population increased to 183 and by 1910, the Jewish population increased to 382.
By 1921, during the Czechoslovakian period, the Jewish population rose to 353. A number of Jews were engaged in agriculture/farming and commerce, including four growcers, two meat wholesalers, two butchers, and three inn keepers.
In 1930, the Jewish population was 393.
Before World War II, 90 Jewish families lived in Oleksandrivka, 50 of them were named FUCHS, all descendants of Shulom FUCHS. There were a further 20 YAKOBOVITS families who were related to the FUCHS family. The rest of families had settled in Oleksandrivka after marrying with the FUCHS descendants over the years.
With the Hungarian occupation of Oleksandrivka in March, 1939, Jews were persecuted and pushed out of their occupations. In 1940-41, Jews from Oleksandrivka were drafted into forced labor battalions and others were drafted for service on the Eastern front, where most died.
By 1941, the Jewish population had increased to 418 and it was at this time, a few Jewish families without Hungarian citizenship were expelled to Nazi occupied Ukrainian territory, to Kamenets-Podolski, and murdered there.
The remaining Jews of Oleksandrivka were deported to Auschwitz late May, 1944.
A great many of the Jews from Oleksandrivka were murdered in Auschwitz and any survivors settled elsewhere.
In 2001, Oleksandrivka had about 2,279 inhabitants and no Jews live there today.
Sources (portions): Budapest, c. 1941 The Encyclopedia of Jewish Life Before and During the Holocaust, (2001) pp. 1132-1133 Yizkor Book by Avraham FUCHS
This page is hosted at no cost to the public by JewishGen, Inc., a non-profit
corporation. If you feel there is a benefit to you in accessing this site,
your JewishGen-erosity is appreciated.
Created and Compiled by: Marshall J. KATZ, USA with assistance from
M. Y. EHRENREICH, USA jAlbum
Nikoli KATZ, USA Magic Toolbox
Ari TESSLER, Belgium
Amos Israel ZEZMER, France
and the following JewishGen members/descendants and contributors of Oleksandrivka Jewish families: