'



Nove Davydkovo, Ukraine
Новe Давидково, Yкраïна

also known as:
Uj-Dávidháza (HU), Nové Davidkovo (CZ), Novoye Davydkovo (RU),
Greis Davidkif (Yiddish)


48°27' N / 22°38' E


~ Introduction ~

( Click the arrow in the buttons below for pronunciation. )

Nove Davydkovo   is a small farming village in the suburbs of Mukachevo (Munkács) in Transcarpathian Ukraine. It lies in a plain beneath Palanok Castle near the foothills of the Carpathian Mountains. Historically, it was part of the Kingdom of Hungary from the 11th century until 1918, when it was called Uj-Dávidháza  , meaning "David's new home." It was located in Bereg megye (county) and Munkácsi járás (district). It then became part of Czechoslovakia (1918-1938), when the region was referred to as Podkarpatská Rus (Sub-Carpathia), and the town was called Nové Davidkovo  .

In 1945, it was annexed to the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic (1945-1991) and called Novoye Davydkovo   until Ukrainian independence in 1991, when it became part of Mukachevskiy (Mukachivs'kyy) rayon (district) and the Zakarpats'ka oblast (county) of Ukraine and today is called Nove Davydkovo.

Other spellings/names for Nove Davydkovo are Novoye Davydkovo, Nove Davydkove and Nowe Dawydkowo. In Yiddish, it was referred to as Greis Davidkif  .

Nove Davydkovo is located about 4 miles W of Mukacheve.



~ Maps ~

Zakarpats'ka oblast, Ukraine
Map: Copyright ©2008 by Marshall J. KATZ




NOTE: Clicking a link will open a new page.

1910 Map: Bereg megye/Uj-Dávidháza (Click map to enlarge it)
1910 Map (Topographical): Bereg megye/Uj-Dávidháza
Austro-Hungary Military Map: Bereg megye/Uj-Dávidháza (Click map to enlarge it)


~ History ~

The first Jews likely settled in Nove Davydkovo after 1711, when the anti-Hapsburg uprising, led by Francis II Rákóczi, had been defeated and order had been restored to the region. The new arrivals migrated from Galicia southwards across the Carpathian Mountains and settled the many villages along the Latorytsa River. The first Jewish name mentioned in Nove Davydkovo was that of Aron Abrahamovics, who was an innkeeper in Nove Davydkovo in 1736. Jews acquired permanent family names in 1787. At that time, the Jewish heads of households were Abraham Ackerman, Nathan Ackerman, David Gärtner, Mihaly Gelman, Mozes Marmonstein, Naftali Raab.

In 1840, the Jewish population numbered eighteen souls, but by 1877 had risen to 159 Jews of a total population of 1,305. By 1910, the Jewish population was steady at 160 souls and, by 1941, numbered 132 Jews among a total of 2,653 people. Rusyns comprised the majority of the population, with a small Jewish and smaller Hungarian minority. This is demonstrated by the religious composition of the village in 1877. Of the total population of 1,304 people, 1,080 were adherents of the Greek Orthodox faith (typical among Rusyns), 159 were Jews, and the remainder were Roman Catholic (6) or Reformed (59), likely Hungarian.

Today, Nove Davydkovo is a rather large village of about 4,006 inhabitants on the outskirts of Mukachevo. Those Jews who survived left for Israel and the USA and the few who remained, migrated to larger cities like Mukachevo. There are no Jews left in Nove Davydkovo today.



This page is hosted at no cost to the public by JewishGen, Inc., a non-profit corporation. If you feel there is a benefit to you in accessing  this site, your JewishGen-erosity is appreciated.



Created by: Marshall J. Katz, USA / Compiled by: Adam SMITH, USA
with assistance from
Genealogy Indexer
jAlbum
Rudolf "Milu" Katz, USA
Magic Toolbox
Amos Israel ZEZMER, France
and the following
JewishGen members/descendants and contributors of Nove Davydkovo Jewish families:

Bill FARRAN, USA
Adam SMITH, USA


Updated: 25 February 2012

Copyright ©2008 Adam SMITH All rights reserved.

Back to KehilaLinks KehilaLinks Top of page JewishGen Back to JewishGen

Top of Page


Visitors since: 2 November 2008