These objects originally belonged to the Jewish community or were in the possession of the many synagogues and institutions of learning in Nikolsburg. As the importance of the town faded, they were gathered together and eventually put on display in the Central Jewish Museum for Moravia-Silesia which opened in Nikolsburg in 1936. After the occupation of the town by the Nazis, the contents of the museum were confiscated for an "ethnological" museum which the Nazis hoped to set up as part of their "final solution". As a result they were not destroyed, and after the war they were collected together in the Jewish Museum in Prague, where they remain today. Photos courtesy of William Teltscher.
Click on the photo for a larger version, then use the "Back" button of your browser to return to this page
|Former Jewish Museum showing reconstructed talmud study room||Chevra kadisha vessels|
|Chevra kadisha jugs||Chevra kadisha jug (detail)|
|Exterior of former Jewish Museum in Nikolsburg, with neighbouring former beth-ha-midrash.||Prince Dietrichstein's patent for Nikolsburg Jewry|
|Menora||Torah shield, crown, finials, candelabra||Rabbi Löw's cup|
Copyright © 2009 Bob Lenk, used with permission
Back to Mikulov - Nikolsburg Main Page