'



Mizhhirya, Ukraine
Мiжгiр'я, Yкраïна

also known as:
Ökörmező (HU), Mežhorje (CZ), Mezhgor'ye (RU), Volovo (Yiddish)

48°31' N / 23°30' E


~ Introduction ~

( Click the arrow in the buttons below for pronunciation. )

Mizhhirya   was part of the Kingdom of Hungary (11th century - 1920 and 1938-1944) with the name of Ökörmező   in the Máramaros megye (county), next part of Czechoslovakia (1920-1938) with the name of Mežhorje  , next part of the Soviet Union (Ukraine) (1945-1991) with the name of Mezhgor'ye   and, since 1991, known as Mizhhirya in the Mizhhirskiy (Mizhhirs'kyy) rayon (district) of the Zakarpats'ka oblast (county) of Ukraine.

Other spellings/names variations for Mizhhirya are Volové, Miżhirja, Wolowe, Volovets, Volova, Volovoje, Mezsgorje, Mizhgirya and Mizhhiria. In Yiddish, Mizhhirya was referred to as Volovo  .

Mizhhirya is located about 36 miles E of Mukacheve and 25 miles NNE of Khust.



~ Maps ~

Zakarpats'ka oblast, Ukraine
Map: Copyright ©2009 by Marshall J. KATZ


NOTE: Clicking a link will open a new page.

1910 Map: Máramaros megye/Ökörmező (Click map to enlarge it)
1910 Map (Topographical): Máramaros megye/Ökörmező
Austro-Hungary Military Map: Máramaros megye/Ökörmező (Click map to enlarge it)

~ History ~

The first Jews probably settled in Mizhhirya in the mid-18th century, numbering 11 in 1768, and 130 in 1830. In 1877, the population of Mizhhirya was 2,077, made up of Hungarians, Rusyns and Jews and comprised the following religions: Roman Catholic (47); Greek Orthodox (1,756); Reformed (5), and Jewish (269).

In 1921, the Jewish population was 766. The children attended a Czech school. (In the 20's, there was a failed attempt to establish a Hebrew gymnasium.) A few dozen Jews attended a yeshiva run by the community's rabbi, Aharon TEITELBAUM. Jews owned most of the businesses (39 of 45 stores) and there were 23 Jews working as artisans. Jews owned a bank and a number of factories, some producing alcoholic beverages and furniture. A few Jews were doctors or lawyers and a few were administrative officials.

By 1941, Mizhhirya had 942 Jewish inhabitants with a synagogue and a mikvah.

Today, Mizhhirya is a large village of about 4,292 inhabitants nestled between two mountains (one, 402 meters high; the other, 424 meters high), hence its name Mizhhirya, which means "between mountains." A number of Hungarians, Ukrainians, Russians and Ruthenians still live there. A great number of the Mizhhirya's Jews were murdered in the Holocaust; no Jews live there today.



This page is hosted at no cost to the public by JewishGen, Inc., a non-profit corporation. If you feel there is a benefit to you in accessing  this site, your JewishGen-erosity is appreciated.



Created by: Marshall J. KATZ, USA / Compiled by: Amos Israel ZEZMER, France
with assistance from
Der Stuermer Archive, Nuremburg, DE
Genealogy Indexer
jAlbum
Rudolf "Milu" Katz, USA
Magic Toolbox
Nevek-Klarsfeld
PolishJews.org
Wilton S. Tifft
and the following

JewishGen members/descendants and contributors of Mizhhirya Jewish families:

Marton ADLER, USA
Jack EISNER, Thailand
Jack GROSS, USA
Rita (née SCHNEIDER) POLLACK, USA
Hedy (née POLLACK) SILBER, USA
Ari TESLER, Belgium
Amos Israel ZEZMER, France


Updated: 14 July 2013

Copyright ©2009 Amos Israel ZEZMER All rights reserved.

Back to KehilaLinks KehilaLinks Top of page JewishGen Back to JewishGen

Top of Page


Visitors since: 28 April 2009