Logo

Iŭe - Ivye, Belarus
53°56' N, 25° 46' E

Contents
Lida Uezd Homepage
Lida Uezd History
Lida Uezd Towns
Lida Uezd Maps
Searchable Databases
Lida Uezd during the Holocaust
JewishGen Home Page
KehilaLinks Home Page
Compiled and Copyright© 1999-2014 by
Ellen Sadove Renck

Webmaster: Irene Pupko Newhouse
Documentary Research: Judy Baston
Updated: October 2014

Official seal of Iwye

Lida uezd map from yizkor

Alternate names: Iwye and Іvўе [Bel], Ivye and Ивье [Rus], Iwje [Pol], Ivia and איוויע / אייוויע [Yid], Vija [Lith], Ivje [Latv], Iwia, Iwie, Ivie, Iv'ye, Iŭe, Iŭje. 53°56' N, 25°46' E, 19 miles E of Lida, 23 miles N of Navahrudak (Nowogródek).

and the dependent villages of Chowanszczyzna, Stolniewicze/Stolniewicz, Urciszki
and hamlets, estates, colonies of Dyndyliszki and Zalejki

Iwje should not be confused with Jewe, in Tro province, on the road from Vilna to Kaunas.

Ivje is a small town in Ivje region on the river Ivjyanka. Population: 8,600 people in 1995. Jewish population: 573 (in 1897), 2,076 (in 1921). Ivye was mentioned first in the Chronicles as a fifteenth century Grand Duchal residence. The Grand Duke of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, Kazimir, gave it to the Governor of Novogrudok, Petr Mantygerdovich, who established a Catholic church in 1495. In the first half of the sixteenth century, it belonged to Duke Zaberezinski. In 1551, Ivye was a mestechko in Oshmyany povet. From 1558 to 1654, Ivye belonged to Kishki. In the second half of the sixteenth century, Ivye was one of the centers of Oriyanstvo district in the Grand Duchy of Lithuania with a school and a book-printing house. The director of the school in 1585-1593 was Y. L. Namyslovski. In 1598, Of the two taverns and 129 houses, nineteen were given to Tatars in the territory outside of Ivje. Jews first settled in Ivye in the early 1600s and mentioned in the records of the Lithuanian Council (Councils of the Lands) tax records. A Moses from I. is named as taxpayer in the Pinkas of the Lithuanian Council in 1623. The community paid a poll tax for its members directly to the Council, and was thus independent of all five of the leading Communities of Lithuania. The Jewish community was involved primarily in innkeeping, brandy distillation, estate leases, and dairies. In 1630, Kishka gave Petropavlovskya Catholic Church to the Bernandinski Order. At the same time, a wooden Catholic church was built there. There was a school, a hospital, and a library belonging to the Catholic church. In 1634, the mestechko consisted of a market place and three streets with 180 houses.From mid-seventeenth century to the first half of the nineteenth century, owners of Ivye were Sluzhka, Glebovich, Zhizhemski, Oginski, Sapega, and Tezengauz. In 1761 the Jews paid [along with the Association of Jews in Lipniski] 600 gulden to the Council in Sltutzk. In 1795, Russian Empire control began. Beginning in 1843, Ivye belonged to Duke Zamoiski. The 1847 Jewish population was 804. In 1891, when a fire damaged over one hundred Jewish homes, many Jews moved elsewhere. In 1897, it was a volostj center in Oshmyany povet of Vilno gubernya with 2,828 people, 387 houses, a Catholic church, two synagogue, three Jewish prayer houses, a technical school, a pharmacy, one mill, seventeen shops, four taverns, and five annual fairs. The 1897 Jewish population was 573 (15.7% of the population).In 1915, the Red Army and the Polish Army occupied Ivye. In 1921-1939, it belonged to Poland as a mestechko center of the gmina in Volozhin povet in Novogrudok voevodstvo. In 1921, under Polish rule, the Jewish population increased to 2,100 or about 76% of the population. At that time, the town also had a Tarbut school and a Jewish female elementary school. In 1928, Iwye was a mezteczko (small city) and gmina wiejska (parish town) and seat of the community council for the surrounding villages, in the first uchastok, Lida powiat, Nowogrodskie woj., Poland. The Justice of the Peace was in Ivye and the Justice Court in Wilno. The 1928 miasteczko population was 2,731. The railway station was five kilometers away (a train stop for limited transports) on the Gawja-Iwje line. The post office, telegraph and telephone were in Iwje k. Lidy. Iwje had one Catholic church, a Merchants Association, an Artisans Association, mills, and tanneries. Markets were on Wednesdays.The USSR, who ruled the town from 1939 to 1941, dissolved Jewish community institutions and outlawed Zionist activity. The Tarbut School became a Yiddish state school. Conscription into the Red Army was enforced on June 22, 1941. Beginning in 1939, Ivye belonged to BSSR. On January 15, 1940, Ivye became a small town and regional center. The Beginning June 29, 1941 until July 8 1944, the Nazis occupied the town and killed more than the 2,621 people in Ivje and the environs reported by the Belarussians. On the ninth of Av, about 225 Jewish intellectuals were murdered. A ghetto was enforced in September of 1941. On May 12, an aktion murdered about 2,500 of the Jewish residents. Contact with partisans in the adjacent forests began. One group joined Tuviah Bielski. The murders continued in the town until January 20, 1943 when the remaining 1,100 Jews were moved to Borisov where they perished. In 1971, there were 5,000 people, a bakery, a cannery, forestry operations, a secondary school, a music school, a sports school, a youth center, four kindergartens, a house of culture , two libraries, and a hospital. There are monuments to the victims of fascism (Nazis). Architectural monuments: Petropavlovskaya Catholic Church (the end of 15-17 century), a mosque (1884) which still exists, and an Orthodox church. Source: Sachenka, B.I. [editor], Encyclopedia of the History of Belarus. Minsk: 1996. Volume 3, p. 510.

Residents of import: Chaim Ozer Grodzinski, Rav of Vilnius, born in Iwye, and Moshe Shatzkes, Rav of Iwye, 1913–1941

Iwye, a drewniane miasteczko in former Vilna province, administrative district Oszmiana, 7mil from Oszmiana and from Lida was the former property of the Kiszka family. Mikolaj Kiszka, from Ciechanowiec, Great Lithuania, was "castellan" in Troki and podskarbi . Before 1538, Bernardine monks settled here and "provided by" or "providing to" the church indispensable funds. About 1611, a Calvinist community was founded here. At present [1863], Iwye is country town and the property of the Tyzenhauz family. [translation thanks to Paul Pilawa]

From Geographical Dictionary of Polish Kingdom, Volume III, Warsaw 1882, page 325:

Iwye was a country town in the administrative district Oszmiana. Geographical location: "53 56 widths north and 43 26 east lengths", situated 59 versts south of Oszmiana and 134 versts from Vilna, at 514 of feet above sea level. Iwye is a country-commune management center with a country-school, the brick Catholic parish church of Sts. Piotr and Pawel, and a post office that communicates with the Lida post in via the post office in Dzilkowicze, about 29.5 versts distant. Country town had 2,123 inhabitants (1,053 men and 1,070 women) in 1869. The country-commune was divided into 5 districts with 42 villages, 978 houses, and 6,243 peasants. The Catholic Parish (1st class -?) belongs to the dekanat in Wiszniewo that possesses Duda and the chapels in Satoltowicze with 7,646 faithful. Iwye was once the property of the Kiszka family. Mikolaj from Czechanowiec, voivode of Mscilaw province and leader in Wilkoszewo, founded a church here in 1631. The church was built as a cloister; and he brought Bernadine monks to it. His maintenance of the cloister cost 2,000 rallies a year (part of income from the estates). This gift occurred on 10 of June 1633. The Bernardine monks had a library containing 489 books of theological content, a cloister nursery school, and a monastic school called "rhetoric". The school began in the nineteenth century. The Sluzka family bought the country town Iwye from the Kiszka family. They received this from Katarzyna Januszowa of the House of Kiszka, the wife of the Lithuanian hetman. In a testament, Katarzyna was recorded in Iwye in 1662 as Karol and Katarzyna from Radziwill Hlebowicz. Karol and Katarzyna Hlebowicz had two daughters: 1. Marcybele(?), wife of Marcyan Oginski, of Troki voivode and Lithuanian chancellor and 2. Krystyna, wife of Sapieha, of voivode Polock. When Marcybele Oginski died without progeny, the Sapieha family received the country town of Iwye. In 1686, the Sapieha family returned Iwye as a deposit to the Tyzenhauz family. Today [1882], Iwye belongs to countesses Elfryda Zamojski, who received it in the fall of the Tyzenhauz family. Translation thanks to Jan Sekta. another translation can be found on the PGSA website

From BALINSKI, LIPINSKI: ANCIENT POLISH Volume IV, page 187, Warsaw 1887: "Ivye - wooden country town about miles 7 from Oszmiana and from Lida, formerly belonging to the Kiszkow family. Mikolaj Kiszk from Ciechanowiec, castellan [?] from Troki and podskarbi of Great Lithuanian before 1538 founded a Bernardine monastery here . In 1631, he funded the church. About 1611, someone from the Kiszka family founded the Iwye Calvinist Protestant community. This country town finally became the property of the Tyzenhauz family." Translation thanks to Jan Sekta

LOCATION AFTER 1939: Baranavichy Oblast (Belarusian: Баранавіцкая вобласць, Russian: Барановичская Область) was a territorial unit in the Belarusian Soviet Socialist Republic created after the annexation of West Belarus into the BSSR in November 1939. The administrative centre of the province was the city of Baranavichy. The voblast was originally known as the Navahrudak Voblast but it was soon renamed to Baranavichy Voblast. The oblast was made up of 26 raions in 1944. These raions were Byten, Gorodyshche, Ivyanets, Iwye, Yuratishki, Karelichy, Kletsk, Kozlovshchina, Lyakhavichy, Lida, Lubcha, Mir, Masty, Navahrudak, Nova Mysh, Nesvizh, Radun, Slonim, Stowbtsy, Shchuchyn, Vasilishki, Valozhyn, Voranava, Dzyatlava, Zel’va and Zheludok. In 1944, the oblast was diminished after transferring raions of Lida, Radun, Schuchyn, Vasilishki, Voranava, Masty, Zel’va and Zheludok to newly founded Hrodna Voblast (Founded after remaining parts of Belastok Region to Belarus in 1945) and ones of Iwye, Yuratishki and Valozhyn to Molodechno Voblast in 1944. Finally on January 8, 1954 the oblast was liquidated and the raions were divided between the Brest (Raions of Gorodyshche, Lyakhavichy and Novo Mysh), Grodno (Byten, Karelichi, Kozlovshchina, Lubcha, Mir, Navahrudak and Slonim), Molodechno (liquidated in 1960) (Raion of Ivyanets) and Minsk (Raions of Kletsk, Nesvizh and Stowbtsy) Olbasts (Modern Brest Voblast, Hrodna Voblast and Minsk Voblast). Thus, Baranavichy became part of Brest one as raion center after Nova Mysh one's center was moved to Baranavichy in 1 May 1954 and renaming it as Baranavichy one after 8 April 1957.

Sources:
  • Cemetery
  • Ksiega Adresowa Handlowa, Warszawa Bydgoszcz 1929  Iwje starts on page 1027 
  • Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), III, p. 324: "Iwje". (scroll down 'til you find it)
  • Wikipedia
  • From: Orgelbrand-Encyklopedia General, Volume XII , page 742, Warsaw, 1863: First some definitions of terms used:
    • Podskarbi - royal clerk responsible for a medieval king's treasury; after 16th century, a title equivalent to "the honorable"
    • Dekanat - district of ten parishes in the Catholic Church organizational structure
    • Drewniane miasteczko - little wooden country town, not large city, in which houses were built of wood
    • Voivod - local ruler or governor
  • Encyclopedia Judaica, vol 3., Berlin: 1931.
  • Encyclopedia Judaica; Dubnow, S. Pinchas ha-Medinah (1925); Kaganowitz, M. (editor)
  • Yad Vashem: 7310, Hebrew, 1 Mar 1973, KAPLAN, Yosef: Jews of Lida under Soviet rule; members of the Judenrat (with names); German workers Werner, Windisch an Hannweg; residents of the neighborhood, WASILISKI, IWJE, WORONOW in the Lida ghetto; failed escapes; escape of the couple Kaplan and their joining the Soviet partisan group Iskra; sabotage and battles.
  • Yad Vashem: p. 18 224540 Yiddish, 11 Aug 1947, Statistical data on the extermination of Jews in 1942 in various communities: LIDA, IVJE, WASILIZHKI, DOLHINOW and others
  • Shtetl Finder (1989), p. 31: "Ivia".
  • Yizkors:
    • Pinkas HaKehilot, Poland, Vol. 8 (2005), pp. 117-120: "Iwje".
    • Encyclopedia of Jewish Life (2001), pp. 553-554: "Iwje".
    • Еврейская энциклопедия (1906-1913), "Ивье".
    • Sefer Zikkaron li-Kehillat Ivye (H/Y), Tel Aviv, 1968
  • JGFF Town Search.
  • Simon Wiesenthal Center Holocaust link.
  • JGSNY Home Page, See "NY Landsmanshaftn and other organizations. Scroll to "Incorporation Papers".
  • US Holocaust Memorial Museum
  • HaMelitz Lithuanian Charity Donors Database
  • Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), II, pp. 319-320: Scroll down to Iwje
  • Pinkas HaKehilot, Poland, Vol. 8 (2005)
  • Lithuanian Jewish Communities (1991)
  • Encyclopedia of Jewish Life (2001)
  • Еврейская энциклопедия (1906-1913)
  • JGFF JewishGen Family Finder
  • Rogoff, Tamar "Summer in Ivye" 2001. video
  • Shumkler, Arie Hulyah ba-sharsheret Ramat-Gan: A. Shmukler, 1982. privately published autobiography of a Holocaust survivor from Iwje.
  • Yizkor Book: Iwje and Lipnishki, with Gavia and Traby
  • Iwje, from Slownik Geograficzny. If the link goes stale, use a search engine with the terms Iwye and Slownik.
  • Incorporation papers for 2 Landmanshaftn for people from Ivje. Jewish Genealogical Society of New York Home Page, See: "New York Landsmanshaften & Other Organizations" for Evia and Ivye.
  • Beth Haknesseth Anshe Alshan V'Anshe Iwie is listed in a 1939 WPA inventory of existing and recently closed Shuls. Founded by groups from Alshan [Alsinai] and Iwje in 1888, they had a 2-story brick building on 63 Montgomery St. in NYC from 1906, and rented a loft at 32 Chrystie St. before that. These data are from card #52, on reel 321 of the WPA microfilm series at the New York Municipal Archives on 31 Chambers St. On reel 322, #184 is the additional information that the Secretary is B. Schmokkler, 213 E. Broadway, & that there's a death register going back 50 years & one membership ledger going back 30 year. We have no information as to the fate of these records in the intervening 1/2 century! In a 1921 Directory, the Rabbi was listed as H. Lipnitsky.

  • Pictures:
If you have Lida uezd materials to share, please considering donating it. If you read Yiddish or Hebrew, please contact us.

Records are held both in Grodno and Vilna archives.For Lida records translation, your tax deductible contribution by credit card via the secure server at either group or by mail will grow our knowledge. For a $100 donation, you receive all these records translated two years ahead of their posting on JewishGen. Every penny collected is used for Lida uezd projects only. Records include censuses; family lists; marriages, births, death records; prenumeraten lists; and more. Please contact Judy Baston with any questions.For current translations, please see the ALD: All Lithuanian Database and Belarus SIG Database.
Lida District genealogical records translation is a joint effort of Lida District Researchers of Belarus SIG and Lida District Research Group (DRG) of LitvakSIG. Record translations cover all shtetls (towns) in the Lida Uyezd (district) of Vilnius Guberniya (region) of Lithuania including the town of Lida itself. This page is hosted at no cost to the public by JewishGen, Inc., a non-profit corporation. If useful or if you are moved by this effort to preserve the memory of our lost communities, your JewishGen-erosity will be appreciated.