This site is hosted at no cost to the public by JewishGen, Inc., a non-profit corporation. If you feel there is a benefit to you in accessing this site, your JewishGen-erosityis appreciated.
Thanks & AcknowledgementsThe information contained in these KehilaLinks pages have been compiled from a number of sources identified within the body of the site.Web pages updated January 2014
IntroductionThese pages are an introduction to the town of Łask; specifically concentrating on its pre Second World War and the social, cultural and historic life of its former Jewish community. In 1939, there were 3,864 Jews out of a total population of 6,000 people living in the town. TodayŁask has 18,948 inhabitants (2004) and there are no known Jewish inhabitants. Łask is the county town of Łask County, and is situated in Łódz Voivodeship (since 1999), previously it was part of the Sieradz Voivodeship (1975-1998). The landscape is dominated by a large flood plain which is divided into two parts by the River Grabia. There are many sand dunes of glacial origin and there are significant pine forests to the south of the town. The entire district consists of 30 parishes. The town owed its origin to its location on the crossroads of the most important traderoutes.The Jewish Community of “Lask”To its Jewish community the town was known as Lask. The Jewish settlement of the town began to develop at the close of the 1500’s. For about two centuries, (to the early 1800’s) the owners of the town were supportive of the Jewish population and protected it. This enabled the community to flourish and to maintain a Jewish community council (Kahal) which administered for the town and surrounding villages and towns including Pabjanice and Zdunska Wola.According to the census of 1765, there were 891 Jews in Łask and a further 276 in the 54 small surrounding settlements subordinate to the community. By 1897 there were 2,862 Jews in Łask (68% of the population). In 1921 there were 2,623 Jews in Łask. The size of the Jewish community remained at this level until the outbreak of the Second World War and the destruction of the community and its rich religious, cultural and social way of life.
Lask Municipal Coat of ArmsCoordinates for Łask51°35'N 19°8'EAlternate names: Łask [Pol], Lask [Yiddish, Russian and German], qsal [Yiddish], Łask [pronounced Wask] is a town in central Poland with 18,948 inhabitants (2004). It's the capital of Lask County, and is situated in Lódz Voivodeship (since 1999), previously in Sieradz Voivodeship (1975- 1998). 32nd Air Base of the Polish Air Force is located nearby.
The Jerusalem Memorial
We Shall RememberWe shall remember and not forget our town of birth, the holy community of Lask, that was destroyed. We shall remember with trembling hearts and eyes full with tears, our parents, our brothers, our sisters and all the Jews of our town, pure and innocent men and women, old people and babies; the blood of whom was shed by the murderers like water.We shall remember all those that were chased, scattered and banished into camps of forced labour and in other places of suffering; hungry depressed and without compassion.May their souls be bound up in the bond of everlasting life. From Page 702 of the Lask Yizkor Book