also known as: Kusnyicza (HU), Kušnice (CZ), Kushnitsa (RU)
48°27' N / 23°16' E
~ Introduction ~
( Click the arrow in the buttons below for pronunciation. )
Kushnitsa was part of the Kingdom of Hungary (11th century - 1920 and 1938-1944) with the name of Kusnyicza in Máramaros megye (county), next part of Czechoslovakia (1920-1938) with the name of Kušnice in Podkarpatská Rus (Sub-Carpathia), then part of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic (1945-1991) with the name of Kushnitsa and, since 1991, known as Kushnitsa, in the Irshavsky (Irshavs'kyy) rayon (district) of Zakarpats'ka oblast (county) of Ukraine.
Other spellings/names for Kushnitsa are Kovácsrét, Kusnive, Kushnitz, Kusnica, Kusnyica and Kusnicja.
Kushnitsa is located about 19 miles N of Khust (Huszt), 14 miles NE of Irshava (Ilosva), between Dolgoye (Dolha) and Keretski (Kereszky).
Jews probably settled in Kushnitsa in the first half of the 18th century.
In 1880, the Jewish population was 260.
In 1921, during the Czechoslovakian period, the Jewish population continued to grow.
With the Hungarian occupation of Kushnitsa in March, 1939, Jews were pushed out of their occupations. Several men were drafted into forced labor battalions in 1940-41 and others were drafted for service on the Eastern front, where most died.
In August, 1941, a number of Jewish families without Hungarian citizenship were expelled to Nazi occupied Ukrainian territory, to Kamenets-Podolski, and murdered there.
The remaining Jews of Kushnitsa were deported to Auschwitz mid-May, 1944.
A great many of the Jews from Kushnitsa were murdered in Auschwitz and a few survivors returned, but eventually settled elsewhere.
In 2001, Kushnitsa had about 4,682 inhabitants and no Jews live there today.