.
Gorodok, Ukraine

"Grodek", "Grodek Jagiellonski","Horodok","Griding", "Gorodek", "Grayding", "Gridig", "Graiding"

Lat: 49 47, Long: 23 39'



KehilaLinks
Contents
Gorodok Homepage
Early 20th Century Photos
Photos from 2000
Portions of Sefer Grayding (Book of Griding)
Current Map of Gorodok (Google Maps)
Map of center of town--drawn from memory from a trip to Gorodok in September, 2000
JewishGen Home Page
KehilaLinks Home Page
Compiled by Mike Kalt

Updated: Sep, 2015

Copyright 2015 Mike Kalt

Grodek Jagiellonski--Ul. Kolejowa

Gorodok (Grodek Jagiellonski): Ul. Kolejowa


NOTE: This page commemorates the shtetl of Gorodok (Grodek Jagiellonski), Ukraine, which is about 15 miles southwest of Lviv (coordinates 4947' / 2339'). This is not the site for the larger town of Gorodok (David Gorodok) which is in Belarus. A KehilaLink page for David Gorodok is available at http://kehilalinks.jewishgen.org/David_Gorodok/David-Horodok.htm

A Very Brief Introduction to Gorodok

Gorodok is located in Western Ukraine (formerly Eastern Galicia) about 15 miles (24 kilometers) southwest of L'viv. To view a map of the area on Google Maps, click here. Variants on its spelling include Grodek Jagiellonski (Polish), Gorodok (Russian), Horodok (Ukranian), Gorodek Grayding, Griding, Gridig, and Graiding. Throughout this page the "official" JewishGen spelling of "Gorodok" will be used, unless a different spelling is used in a specific document title.

Gorodok was first settled in the 13th cenury and the earliest documentation of Jewish residents dates from 1444. In 1662, the local governor encouraged Jews to settle in the town, but assigned them to a special quarter known as "Gnin" or "Genin". According to the census of 1765 there were 788 Jews living in Gnin.

By 1880, the size of the Jewish community had grown to 2,952, and increased to 3,610 in 1900 (about 30 percent of the town's population). After World War I, the Jewish population of the town actually decreased, to 2,545 in Gorodok itself and 1,414 in surrounding villages.

After the German invasion of Poland in 1939, many Jewish refugees from western Poland came to Gorodok, and by 1941 the Jewish population had grown to over 5,000. Between September 1939 and June 1941, Gorodok was occupied by the Soviets. In July 1941, the Germans captured the town, and many of the town's Jews were sent to labor camps at Jaktorow Winniki, and Janowska (Lvov) and to the death camps at Belzec. The ghetto was liquidated in May, 1943, and the remining Jews were shot and buried in mass graves near Artyszczow. No Jewish community was re-established.

(Historical information from Encyclopedia Judaica)

Pictures of Gorodok

Other Gorodok Resources on the JewishGen Web Site

Maps

Other Web Sites with Information Relating to Gorodok

General Information

Bibliography

  • Sefer Grayding (Book of Griding), Yehuda Leibish Margel ed., Tel Aviv, Society of Grayding Emigrants, 1981
  • Encyclopedia Judaica (Jerusalem: Keter Publishing, 1971), s.v. "Gorodok"

This page is hosted at no cost to the public by JewishGen, Inc., a non-profit corporation. If it has been useful to you, or if you are moved by the effort to preserve the memory of our lost communities, your JewishGen-erosity would be deeply appreciated.